Compatible Support Forums
drizler

How to connect remote printer via wireless lan????

We just hooked up our daughters laptop to our Soni Viao via a Belkin wireless router. Both are Win XP. I got both working on our dsl line correctly. The Sony( main computer) is hooked to a Cannon MP870 printer, scanner.

I can't figure out how to set up the printer on the network so that the laptop can use it as a shared printer. I have enabled the network and Sony to share the printer and done whatever I could to enable printer sharing on the laptop. There is something basic I am missing here. Can anyone give me or link me to a walkthrough of how to set up this remote printer on a home wireless lan?

Generally, you do not have to do all that much. click on Start-ControlPanel-Printers and Faxes from your Sony Viao. When the icon of the printer comes up, right click on it and click on the word Shared from the drop down menu and go from there.

Once done, the laptop should be able to see it over the network. Sometimes, you have to reboot. Now, different printers work differently. More often than not, under XP when you select to print from the laptop, the proper drivers are downloaded to the laptop the first time and you are good to go. Some printers however need to have the drivers to be installed on the computer from the CD you got with the printer or from drivers you download from the Cannon site, and you must tell them where to find the printer.