Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ultimo

WPN111, new to Linux.

Well, I've had a friend helping me out with trying to get my Netgear WPN111 Wirelesss USB Adapater working.

So far, we've gotten a bunch of stuff done. I'm running Kubuntu 6.06.1 LTS. We figured out it already had NDISWrapper installed, so I popped in my WPN111 CD and had my friend walk me through how to use the Konsole. We installed the netwpn11.inf from the nds5 folder on the disc. Whe Wireless Assistant still isn't seeing my Adapter though, so I'm guessing I have a few more steps to go.

I'll check back later, ciao for now.

What do you mean?

As far as I can tell you, I know I have ndiswrapper in, and netwpn11.inf is installed as a driver. Linux apparently isn't seeing my hardware, however.

I was looking for some specific instructions for Kubuntu, since that is what you are using. No real good article yet specific for Kubuntu.

It looks like you got as far as configuring the driver for ndiswrapper. Now you have to actually load the driver;

sudo depmod -a

This adds the ndiswrapper module to the kernel depmod. Then do;

sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

This loads the actual ndiswrapper module configured with the Windows driver.

See section 2.5.2.3 in the Ubuntu wiki article here.

Now that the module is loaded, do;

sudo iwconfig

You should see an entry for wlan0 with some output. Your not done yet. Let me ask;

1. Do you have KWiFimanager installed?

2. Do you know the essid name and passphrase for the modem or router that you are using? You will need these to proceed either through the console or KWiFiManager.

3. Are you using WEP or WPA encription through the router or modem?

All right, so I decided I'd try getting my dongle working in Windows first. I couldn't, and let this go for a couple months. Later, I find out I was using the wrong WEP key, but this is after I've nuked my Linux install. So, now I'm back at the point I was when I last posted, plus the sudo depmod -a.

When I try modprobe, it gives me a fatal error witn an invalid argument.

FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (Long directory list ending with /ndiswrapper.ko) Invalid argument

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Also...

1: Dunno.

2: Yes.

3: WEP, got my passphrase.