Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
packman

Any problems with latest update for IE6SP1?

This is a long shot but has anyone here had any problems after installing the latest cumulative security update for Internet Explorer 6 SP1 (918899), under either Win2K or WinXP, available at the Windows Update website? Given the number of caveats it has when you click on the details, I'd be surprised that anyone's PC would still work properly, after installing it (I'm exaggerating, of course).

Seriously, though, the number of known issues that Microsoft admits can arise from installing this update is not inconsiderable. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918899.

Am I being paranoid?

You are right, packman, to be concerned that this patch (which is maybe the 5th time it has been reworked)could put IE6 in the tank. But, then, Microsoft really wants you to step up to IE7 anyway.

But, if this makes you paranoid, just think about Microsoft's Genuine Advantage. Now there is something to be paranoid about, especially after it is applied to Vista. The assumption is that Genuine Advantage only checks to make sure you have a non-pirated copy of its OS. But what if it is also checking to see if you have a file of "Copy-MyDVD-anti-RIAA-version" that gets around any kind of copy protection scheme which you may never have used but because it is on your PC, your Genuine Advantage says you have a pirated copy of their OS and they won't support you? Now there's paranoid.

Err, well, actually I'm using Win2K, so there's no prospect whatsoever of me shifting up to IE7, even though Microsoft will be assuming that most people will be doing that in due course. You can only move to IE7 from WinXP, not Win2K.

I believe part of your question was on the subject of paranoia. Since you will eventually be the proud possessor of an unsupported OS, you will undoubtedly have some new joys to look forward to.