Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
xfrat

Software probems

Ok, my friend set up my linux a few days ago. Now i cant get command and conquer to install. I see it in the cd but command and conquer got broken in linux.

also ms word cd wont work. not even clicking setup.

help me? what am i doing wrong?

Thank u kind sirs.

Microsoft applications are designed to work in Windows.

With a program called WINE, you can get some MICROSOFT applications to install on and run in Linux. Microsoft has repeatedly made changes to application APIs so as not to allow them to run on anything EXCEPT windows.

With Wine, you should be able to get alot of Microsoft products to run, but you have to make sure you do not ruin your current Win98 installation.

I have gotten many Windows Applications to run using Wine and a Commercial version Wine-X.

Please remember, Microsoft Does not and Will not allow It's trademarks to be use in the "Linux market"... there for we have to use other names.

For Microsoft Word/Excel/PowerPoint use OpenOffice.org. For Access use MySQL or PostgresQL. For a Browser, use Mozilla or Galeon. For e-mail use Evolution.

There are many Games that have Native Linux ports to them, UT, UT2K3, Quake3 are just a couple.

I'm not trying to be mean or unkind, but as I said in the other thread (before I read this one), Linux is definitely not for everyone. I am wondering why your friend installed Linux on your machine. Based on the threads you have started, it seems very clear that running Linux will not benefit you at all. I have been using Linux exclusively for three years and while it is possible to get certain Windows programs to run in Linux using Wine, getting Wine installed and properly configured is not a task for a newbie. Even then, I promise you you will not get anything to run with the speed or reliability you expect. If you want to run Windows software, don't use Linux.

I'm saying this as gently as possible. Call your friend and have him come put Windows back on your computer.

Greetings,

Very true ,

If you want to play games get a psx or have another desktop/laptop with windows ( or dual boot ) installed in order to play games

And keep linux for the use you want ,

I think of linux under development and i dont think that we will get great perfomance in games at least same or better than windows ( quake3 btw rocks in linux :P & frozen bubble rules )

In other words,

windows=game ( cause you have everything with an OK button ) you watch some dvds , you play a game , chat on the irc etc and you just waste your time,so windows is waste of time for me

linux=OS,in sense that in order to go well with it you'll need some *universal knowledge* i can state it ? With linux you dont waste your time while you do with windows,at least if you waste it you learn more n' more while with windows you were just learning few AUTO steps

(Windows=Click install,next,next,...,next*(n)times and you're set , linux=next?what's that?No buddy,you need to understand how it works,you go deeper,Compile,solve Dependencies etc)

() Think of the resources as well.Get a good look at how linux works and windows and you'll see what i mean,take dvdrip for example,with windows your whole system halts and that's the only job you can do while with linux only the ~10% is wasted to do so

The rest i leave it to you

Farewell

I have been connected wirelessly to the Internet through a Japanese PC Card in Japan, by Honda. This Japanese software installed okay in English Windows. However, it failed to operate smoothly.

I then tried a newer version of the Honda software, but it failed to install at all. Thus, I am without a wireless connection.

One solution is to partition my hard drive and install Japanese version of Windows XP. But is there a less expensive solution by using Linux? -- perhaps in conjunction with another software. For instance, one member suggested WINE that helped in certain situations for using English windows software.

LRP Sensei

If you're in a situation like we are, where you have no choice but to use certain windows programs, Win4Lin was a great solution for us. At my radio station, we only use Win4Lin for QuickbooksPro 2000 as we have not found a satisfactory Linux equivalent out there. Win4Lin will run most other Windows programs except games since there is no direct X support. Other than that, our office uses all Linux applications, Abiword, Gnumeric, Galeon, Evolution etc. and these apps rarely if ever crash.

Theophile is right that Linux is not for everyone. If you want to run all Windows apps, then you should probably stick with Windows.

There are certain games that work as well, if not better than under Windows, with Winex3. Half-Life runs almost perfectly under Winex, and Trespasser runs better under Winex in software than it does under Windows. I regularly play Team Fortress, and get far better pings playing as a Linux client than I ever got under Windows on the same box. For a fairly complete list of which games work how well under Winex, check out this list at Transgaming.com.