Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
arvindsuresh

need driver for dlink g510 for fedora core 4

hey im new to linux and i wanna make my wireless network card work...could someone please tel me where i can get a suitable driver?

thanks in advance..

You posted this on the Windows forum. If you want, I can move the thread to the linux forum,since this is about Fedora Linux.

What is important to know, is what the revision number is for the wireless card. This way we know what chipset is on the card and can direct you to a proper driver. There are two revisions, A1 an B1, both have different chipsets (Marvell and Atheros respectively).

hi

My card is a dlink DWL G510 rev. C

I have no clue what chipset it is...also please tell me what chipsets have to do with the card..are based on different chipsets made for motherboards having different chipsets?

Thanks.

P.S. please move the thread into the appropriate section as well..Thanks

Interesting! This card is not listed in the US D-Link site, but is apparently sold in Australia?

Anyway, it has a Ralink Rt61 chipset. D-Link does not make Linux drivers for their cards, so you must use the corresponding Linux driver.

Each wireless card has it's own onboard chipset. This is independent from the motherboard (has nothing to do with the motherboard chipset). So, you must obtain the Linux driver that will work.

Also, you need to know the settings from the router (ESSID and WPA or WEP encription key), as there is no automatic setup, as with the Windows setup disk that you have with the drivers.

To give you an idea of what you need to do, see this link which speaks of this card in Ubuntu (as an example).

Another example for the older Ralink chipset is here. My article is slightly outdated, but you get the idea!

If you want to give it a try, we can proceed. The first link does not give you a step-by-step, but let's see what you think.

Hey i read through the links...understood a bit...so i just havta download the drivers and build them..then configure according to my router settings..rite? Doesn't seem very difficult.wil be able to do it with guidance.

Please tell me as to how i should proceed further.

Thanks.