Compatible Support Forums
dollbaby443

nv4_disp infinite loop error

I'm running Windows XP. I discovered the BSOD and the black screen after the Windows startup screen last night when I arrived home. Since I couldn't start Windows normally, I hit "F8" from the initial start up screen and opted to start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking which allowed me to temporarily connect to the web.

After searching online desperately for some assistance, I discovered at least one thing. It was caused by an outdated driver used by my GeForce FX 5200. Sounds simple enough. But after downloading and later uninstalling many different "fixes" I continued to have the same problem.

So, this morning I Googled GeForce FX 5200 driver update and was directed this this site "http://www.nvidia.com/content/license/location_0605.asp?url=http://us.do wnload.nvidia.com/Windows/91.47/91.47_forceware_winxp2k_english_whql.exe" and found this file... 91.33_forceware_winxp2k_english.rar

After successfully downloading this file and saving it in a folder I which I renamed for easier access " C:\NVIDIA\GeForceDriverFix ", I then went to my Device Manager, (right click "My Computer" then select "Properties" then "Hardware" then "Device Manager") and located the NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 under Display adapters. I then right cliced to "Update Driver".

When asked "Can Windows connect to Windows Update to search for software?" I selected Yes, this time only.

When asked "What do you want the wizard to doo?" I selected Install from a list or specific location.

With "Search for the best driver in these locations" selected, I checked "Include this location in the search" then hit "Browse" to find the file where I saved the updated driver.

In my case it was "C:\NVIDIA\GeForceDriverFix"

I then selected "OK" and it proceeded to update the driver for me.

After a successful update, I was prompted to restart my computer.

I'm proud to say, blue screen, black screen and infinite loop error messages are a thing of the past.

Thanks to everyone who cared enough to post comments on this issue as it seems all too common.

And if I help just one person with this, my efforts shall not go in vain.

If you play alot of games just be aware that the latest NVIDIA drivers are not always good to use for some games. Occasionally you'll have to revert to older drivers depending on the game.

2D has always been fine but newer NVIDIA drivers for older cards have always been iffy for D3D games.

Congratulations, dollbaby443. The famous infinite loop is not easily overcome as you have managed to do since nVidia and Microsoft have never really come to terms about memory management and driver placement.

I've recently had this happen to me. I have a Dell XPS M170. The video card I have is a GeForce Go 6800 Ultra. I was playing Lord of the Rings Online and all of a sudden my screen went all fuzzy. I had to turn off my computer. When I turned it back on, there were these lines of symbols that were all over the screen and words on the screen had some vertical lines going through them. Before windows gets the chance to load, there are a bunch of horizontal lines that appear on the screen and it just freezes. Occasionally I get a BSOD, though, it looks like a green screen of death. I get a msg that mentions a problem with the file nv4_disp.dll. It says something about being stuck in an infinite loop. I wasnt able to get into windows except through safe mode with networking. I've tried some of the fixes that I found on this site and others and none of them worked. There were a few times where the problem appeared to be fixed until I would try to play Lord of the Rings Online and then it would get all fuzzy and freeze up. I talked to someone at Dell and that person told me I'd have to reformat and reinstall windows. If anyone knows a way I can fix this problem without doing that, please inform me.

I have had exactly the same problem with the same exact configuration on my M170. However, I wasn't using mine for gaming when it happened. I have run the troubleshooting gammit, from up[censored] the BIOS drivers, NVidia's drivers (which you can't get from NVidia..only from Dell because it's a laptop). The only way I'm able to work now is by disabling the GeForce display adapter in System>Hardware>Device Manager. This will allow you to use the computer, but the graphics refresh is slower than NVidia's card because you are sharing the Pentium's "band-with" with everything else the CPU is trying process, in addition to the video now. It's only a band-aid until I can find a permanent solution. 3 hours on the phone with Dell yesterday didn't fix it. Calling NVidia gets you someone in India saying that you have to call Dell. No one is owning the problem....SHOCKER!!! I have tried EVERYTHING. So, I have backed up all my data in the event I need to reinstall XP. The only thing left that I can think of is that the registry has become so corrupt, that the only thing that will fix it is a complete re-install of XP. Unless you're willing to try one of those registry repair utilities like RegClean for $29...but that's no guarantee. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.

Jim (equilution)

jharris@equilution.com

520-237-5512

www.laptopvideo2go.com

Provides the best driver work-arounds for nVidia laptop chipsets, they even provide modded INFs for installs. I use them on my Dell 1520 with an 8600m GT, it's the only way I can get stuff like Bioshock working.

FIXED Finally!!! I have had this issue for a long time and tried many things. In Linux I noticed it was crashing with 3d games too which made me look at the BIOS. This may be a issue with AMD64 and video card.

Other people suggested video card was going bad, bad power supply, not true!!

PNY 7600 GS 512

AMD 64 2600

MB - ASUS K8N

Fix for me was:

Windows:

1.) Turn off APIC stuff in the BIOS

2.) Must reinstall windows after this (Didn't work without reinstalling)

Linux:

1.) No reinstallation, only pass 'noapic' option to the kernel when booting.

Let me know if this works, it was very frustrating for me to find but now has been running for 2 weeks straight in my 3d game with no crashes.

bakerbp@gmail.com

I copied the url noted in your message. I cannot locate file named "91.33_forceware_winxp2k_english.rar" on the nvidia site (which is the site the url directed me to). Please hel. Thanks

I have a 9800 GX2, and i installed the new nvidia drivers 175.16, and it prompted me to restart, so i did. i booted into windows and before i could start up an application, i got BSOD. and now, i can't even get into my bios. When i start the computer, i get the normal beep, but nothing comes up on the screen. i tried using different memory, and a different graphics card. Both of which i know work. what is wrong?

From above'(nv4_disp infinite loop error)

Where is this file located: 91.33_forceware_winxp2k_english.rar

I need it desperately! Having the same

exact problem. Thanks....