Compatible Support Forums
ConQueso

Best firewall/antivirus/antispyware combo

If you don't care to read my story, but wish to add to the thread, this is a thread for those that decided against going with one company for an entire security suite, and instead have picked seperate firewall/antivirus/antispyware combos. Also, please list how it's affecting system performance, as part of my choice was to minimize system slowdown. Before paying for two of the programs, I tried the trial versions to see how system performance would be affected. I've paid for one, now, and will pay for the other a day or so before the trial is over.

My selection was ZoneAlarm AntiSpyware (with spyware disabled, purely for the firewall at a lesser price), NOD32 antivirus, and SpySweeper version 4.5.

Now, my story for those interested...

After getting fed up with Norton Internet security bogging my system down, so much so that I reinstalled windows, I've done a lot of review reading about various security products. Here's my opinion, though far from expert, from my readings.

The all in one suites all disappointed in one way or another. Norton/McAffee were well rated, but resource hogs. ZoneAlarm appears to have the best rated firewall, but it's antivirus and antispyware are lacking. There's always a catch.

So, I decided to just get one firewall, one antivirus, and one antispyware. Priority being on security without a significant hit to system performance.

The antispyware I'd already had. Webroot had me sold on SpySweeper the second it discovered a nasty bit of spyware that was on my system, that I was suspicious I'd might have had. They sold me the second it discovered it, because I'd tried a couple other antispyware software trials, that didn't detect it. And git this: I googled info about the spyware: it was comercially available. So, the other companies were to incompitant to search for commercial spyware, to cheap to purchase it, to inept to figure how to detect it, or in on it. None of these options did I care much for. Unfortunately SpySweeper's latest version (5.0) Would actually temporarily make all my windows inactive and I couldn't even click on anything without the default error beep every couple of minutes lasting a few seconds. Uninstalling it and installing 4.5 solved this, and It still can download the latest definintions, I just decline the version upgrade.

Spy Sweeper continues to be top rated amongst the review sites i've visited, though I think it's "SpyDoctor" that has snuck up and ranks about even to SpySweepers former solo best ranking.

For Firewall, I have ZoneAlarm AntiSpyware with the antispyware disabled so that it doesn't interfere with SpySweeper, or slow it down. This was to save money from purchasing Zone Alarm Pro, which doesn't have much more to offer exept price.

For Antivirus, I dug and dug. This is the most up for debate, but I went with NOD32. From what I've read it seems to be a sleeper. Perhaps because you can't buy it in a box in stores, so the reviewers don't review it much? From what I've read, though, it has a reputable history and reputable protection. Also a light footprint, system performance wise.

I must say that I'm much happier now with these three in combination than my former Norton Internet Security 2005. My system runs much faster, firefox doesn't take MINUTES to load after signing in. And I feel that the price, while a bit higher than a security suite, isn't much higher. Especially for what, AFAICT, is great protection with a minimal performance hit.

If I wish to play a game, and don't want popups from my firewall, zonealarm had a game mode, where I can chose to accept or deny any prompt that should come up during game mode (I select deny). This is a very nice feature when I'm gaming and already have my game configured to work online, or simply am playing single player.

All things said, so far I'm very happy with my selection. NOD32 lists programs it cannot scan that are locked, which worried me at first, but after reading some info, it appears that these programs aren't scannable or changable by any anitivirus, it's just that other antiviruses don't give you these details.

Feel free to comment about my decision, question it, correct me if I said something inaccurate, etc. Just thought this would be a good place to sound off on such a topic, with the vast knowledge bank that I've been able to tap here before. Unless I read several, extremely favorable reviews about a suite including low system performance expense, I think I'll remain doing the 3 seperate program deal I'm doing now.

As you point out ConQueso, the best selections are made by the user who often through trial and error finds the best combination of tools. And this is dependent on how adventurous a user is as to exploring "questionable" sites that are often susceptible to hijacking - or installing "sharing" software (eMule, etc.) that also opens the computer to quite a few vulnerabilities.

Rather than consider the merits of your choice, and I am sure that there will quite a few who have found other combinations, I would suggest two additions. 1) if you use broadband, buy a router to connect the modem to the computer. This will reduce the pinging that can drive a software firewall insane telling you that some process is being requested. 2) look into additional socket protection like XPI's SocketShield monitor since even the best software firewall's can be fooled by some pretty sophisticated and subtle intrusions.

I can name a lot of equivalent software to that which you have suggested. But, rather than take that route, I would suggest the above as "suspenders" in addition to the "belt" that keeps your security up.

So, what would you say is the most secure combo of programs to keep your computer safe with minimal system slowdown?

BTW, I do have a router, firewall enabled, wireless disabled, but thank you for posting.

Well, being a bit of an old timer here (I still remember when McAfee was FREE, and about the only one around). I used to bring my own floppy in to work to clean our systems LOL. Later I used Norton AV and utilities to repair systems.

Around the time of Windows 3.1 and then 95/98, McAfee had a nasty habbit of halting the systems with a strange green line on the top of the screen. Norton, as you just now have noticed, has so much JUNK DLL's running in the background, that it just about takes over the computer from you! And it just kept getting more bloated as time went on. So those two have not been in my possesion for a very looooong time!

I tried Trend in XP for awhile, but it blows. Eventually went with AVAST and AVG when they were the only ones for a long time who had XP 64bit versions. Were not too bad, but both would sometimes lock up Outlook real bad and make it time out when recieving mail.

I don't want to get into it with you about Zone Alarm, but that firewall will NEVER TOUCH one of my hard disks ever again! When version 6 came out, it hosed a lot of user's systems! Read their forum a number of times, and some got quite violent about their problems. Many went back to version 5. So for awhile, until I went with Vista 32bit, I had either AVG or AVAST, and just let the XP Firewall do what it wanted. I never seemed to have any problems with attacks.

Now with Vista 32bit, what joy, NOT!!! LOL. This time, I figured I would be smart, and try Microsoft's own One(DON'T!!!!)Care. Well lets see now . . . . . .

1) It has a built-in defrag THAT NEVER DEFRAGS or completes one ever (and no way to control it, no drive map, and no analyze)

2) Antivirus, that in 2 DAYS OR RUNNING NONSTOP (in the background, and bringing the system to a crawl), never completed a scan

3) Firewall that continually asks to allow programs (usually after the program has started, and so is hidden - messes up things like World of Warcraft every time there is an update!!!)

And the list for that one goes on - just look at their support forum (that really isn't even staffed by MS folks, just helpers)

So now, sort of like you, I too am looking for the perfect solution that does WHAT I want, WHEN I want, and HOW I want it. And also not use so many system resources, that I can't use the computer for 3 days. Yes, I too am willing to pay if need be, but which one?

Currently, I have gone to:

Diskeeper for defrag and LOVE IT!

Now trying the AVG Internet Suite (so so)

About to try Panda AV/Firewall Suite

But might look into the NOD32 you are talking about. I seen it somewhere else too, I think it came with a motherboard, or something . . . . but I do NOT want to use Zone Alarm ever again!

Kapersky all in one.

Or if I was going for free, I would either install Linux, or get AVG free edition and Sygate Firewall (free version).

I use Avast i was using agv awile agou but it was crap sofare no viruses or spyware cause laptop is main and desktop is Ethernet 1gb to it and laptop is using a belkin 108mbps wifi both have firewalls router has one too Netgear 108mbps for the laptop,ps3 and XB360

i just use windows firewall and AVG 8.0 works for me allthough i do get the od adware sneak in but avg soon picks it up

Hi everyone,

Long time since I posted on here!

I currently use:

"Look'n'Stop" - Firewall (Ugly looking but excellent software that is not resource hungry and does what it says it does - highly configurable)

Sophos Anti-Virus - AV that is only for corporates. I have noticed it getting a bit more bloaty lately, and is quite aggressive and does hit on a few FPs (False-Positives), but ultimately we/I aint been hit by a virus.

Windows Defender - AntiSpyware. Not really sure that it does much to be honest, Sophos takes care of most "Spyware".

Sandboxie - Great little app for testing/surfing (Sandbox)

On another machine, I run MBAM (Anti-Malware) as it detected and removed dodgy software off my mates pc.

Router firewall with UPNP disabled and ports mapped manually.

Thats about it.

Here is my combo that I've been using for a while now:

Firewall, Hardware based only. I use a pfsense router built out of an older thin client made by Maxterm called the MaxSpeed 8300.

I used a new 1GB CF Drive and then an external USB optical to install the full version of this OS based on FreeBSD.

anti-Spyware/Malware, Spybot Search and Destroy and Spywareblaster, mostly for the blacklists and the realtime monitoring. Also they seem to work very well with Windows 7 too.

anti-Virus, AVG Free, you really don't need anymore then this app and it also works on Windows 7.

I prefer protect my mac and for it i use ProteMac Netmine .It's firewall.In my opinion it's really good tool.:)

Hii,

I work on many OS Vista , Win 7,XP and have installed the combo of Macfee & Advanced System Protector , the reason of using Advanced System Protector is that it not only blocks the spyware b4 it can enter your system, will also clean the infections if any and it gives routine updates of the latest definitions and is very easy to use.The On Execution Scanner & Alert Shields make it more efficient in the case of internet access. free version of ASP is also available which provides free scanning and cleaning.

Try this.

http://www.systweak.com/AntiSpyware/Download/