Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
codedpk

Configuring rtl8139 in FEDORACORE5

Hello,

I am facing problems with detecting realtek rtl 8139 fast pci ethernet adapter in FC5.when i did lspci, the device shown @ the pci lan slot was "unknown device".Even in the system-network-config option where there is a gui to configure the network ,this card is not shown.Hence i also tried with ndiswrapper,but eventhough,it shows "driver installed"

but hardware present is not shown.The same card is detected and used in windowsxp which i am using without any options for internet connectivity.How do i get the card detected in FC5

Let's take a look at what the ndiswrapper driver assistance package is supposed to do. It is not a driver, but a package that uses the Win XP native drivers to configure the card.

Let me ask a couple of questions. Did you use the latest ndiswrapper package compiled from source, or the Fedora rpm package?

What is the exact make, model number and revision of the NIC card that you have?

Did you install the kernel source package to match the kernel version that you have for Fedora?

Did you follow the distribution specific instructions from the ndiswrapper wiki page, located here?

Quote:
The same card is detected and used in windowsxp which i am using without any options for internet connectivity.

Well not really. Either the drivers were configured already on the system, or you used the manufaturer disk to install the Windows drivers. This assists in setting up the card.

If you get no hardware present message, then the drivers were not installed correctly, you used the wrong drivers, or the card is not supported in ndiswrapper. Did you look at the ndiswrapper card list to see if your card is known to work with ndiswrapper, or what the suggested drivers are to use with ndiswrapper?

Did you use the Windows XP drivers (inf and sys) files to install with ndsiwrapper. If so, from where?

There are other Ratlink drivers to get the card to work in Linux, but let's see what you have done and found out so far.

Wait a minute, I just read your post more carefully, Is this a wireless card or PCI NIC card connected via an ethernet cable?

Ndiswrapper is for wireless cards only.

If this is a wired PCI card, what is the make and model of your computer?

Sorry if I assumed that it was wireless, but when you said ndiswrapper, I assumed it was wireless and a ratlink based card (RT2500).

It's hardwire ,used in eMachines.

Go to http:\www.driverguide.com , join it (it's free )

Search the database. They have the linux driver.

Driverguide.com has a lot of linux hardware drivers.