Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
longbow007

Should I use Windows XP Pro 64-bit?

I am about to upgrade my old PC to a new Intel Core2 Duo system with all new hardware. I'll be up[censored] to a new ASUS P5B-Deluxe-WIFI motherboard, Intel E6300 CPU, ASUS Video Card (nVidia NV7900GT), Seagate SATA 2 320Gb HDD, DDR 2 RAM (2Gb) 667Mhz, Samsung Syncmaster 215TW LCD Monitor, Hiper R-Type 580Watt Power Supply and a Creative WiFi sound card.

Is it better to run Windows XP Pro (32-bit) OS or the (64-bit version)?

Windows Vista may come out next year but I want to purchase this PC this year.

Any positive feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Longbow007.

Personally, I would run the XP Pro 32-bit simply because of the extensive driver support. 64-bit still struggles with the lack of adequate drivers for your hardware.

I agree with Sampson, however, I'm actually Quad-Booting my gaming rig for testing purposes.

I have (4)Four separate HD's so I selectively boot from XP-Pro 32-bit, XP Pro 64-bit, Vista Beta 32-bit or Vista Beta 64-bit.

This is great for somebody like me that likes to mess about with compatibility testing with my games and such, however, with most users, they just want it to work.

So, if you really do want to see how a 64-bit OS works, then consider either using multiple HD's or simply partition your HD into (2)Two or more sections so you can install the 32-bit version on one and the 64-bit version on another wink

I would use a dial boot system like Jmmijo has so if any apps do not like the 64 bit system you can switch to the 32 bit XP system.

Personally, there is not advantage of using 64 bit systems on desktops anyway. If you have more than 4GB or RAM or using some memory hungry apps then use 64 bit OS otherwise stick to standard 32 bit XP.