Compatible Support Forums
TAHayden

RedHat Fedora on Athlon X2 64 Dual Core

Hello All!

I am just about to start a corse at Manchester Uni where I'll be learning to program in Java (your symapathy please), and they ask us to be running RedHat Fedora on our machines. I've had a play with it before by installing it on an old spare drive, and I'm trying to do the same again after hardware upgrades... Trouble is I'm getting some fairly terminal errors when the installer tries to run - complains about my CPU... Trouble is the error messages shoot past to a page that tells me little, where it then stops entirely. I have tried both the 64 and 32 bit versions. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated - especially via email! Please bear in mind I am a little green when it comes to Linux based stuff, so try not to give me a coronry!

Thanks all, Tom

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+

BFG's nVidia Gforce 7600 GT PCIe

1GB RAM

SATA Hard Drives

I had all kinds of problems with Fedora Core 6 test 2, which would not install on my system. I would not recommend it for everyday use, as it is what it says, a test version. Something has changed with the installer from test 1 and 2, as test 1 had no problem with my Athlon 64. Test 2 also failed on my second system with a straight Athlon (32 bit) system.

I looked around on Google and saw two scenarios. one, where folks had no problem installing Linux on these boards, the other were it just would not install.

My installs seemed to fail as Fedora tried to probe the sata hard drives onmy system.

You can try to install it in text mode, which might give you more clues on what the issue is. At the installation splash screen, type in linux text. It should give you some indication where the process fails. If it does install in text mode, then the issue is most likely related to the PCI-E chip on the motherboard and proper support for it. Also, these motherboards and process ors are fairly new and support may not be resident on FC5 for your chipset or processor type.

What's important here is to get some idea what errors are appearing. Did you actually get to a command prompt, or did the process just stop? If the latter, then you should be able to see some sort of error message that occured, as the installation failed.

Thanks for replying, been on holiday, and about to go on another, but really appreciate the help...... First of all note that I have been trying 5, not 6, and I do notice an error message, but the lines continue to scroll down the screen too quick for me to read them before it finally grinds to a halt... It does this even before the installer propper starts. I guess a start would be to find out if there is a comand like /p (page at a time) in dos?

Cheers for your help

Actually, I have been commenting on FC5 in your case.

Quote:
Also, these motherboards and process ors are fairly new and support may not be resident on FC5 for your chipset or processor type.

I mentioned FC6 test, just to explain what happened with the test version to me.

I did find this thread which most likely explains your issue. Maybe not a solution, but a confirmation that it is an issue. I suspect the bios and it's processor settings are at issue, and possibly proper support for the processor and it's chipset.