Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
brookedel

Gigabyte board. wont pick up 2 cd roms ..HELP

Hello there forum members, I have a Gygabyte K7 triton board.every time I go to install my second cd rom windows wont start up it freezes, not sure if its the IDE connection or windows.

One cd rom at a time is ok , picks them both up ,but when I connect both together , pc windows wont start up, freezes on start up.

board has 4 IDE connectors, should I try a seperatle IDE for each cd rom or shuld I I use IDE number 3 for both cd roms rather than IDE 2 like at present, as IDE 1 is being used by the hard drive,, as recommended by the manufacturer.

cheers

The first question is, how are the CDROM drives jumpered, master, slave, or cable select?

If you are shure that they are jumpered correctly and that you have them connected to the correct cooresponding places on the ribbon cable, please post back with the exact model number of the motherboard, if posible.

You say that you have 4 IDE connectors on the motherboard. I assume 3 and 4 are raid connectors, which most likely should not be used with CDROM drives.

The cdrom's I have tried in both directions as in the cd rom master then dv rom slave and have reversed them and still windows xp freezes on start up when its about to switch to the main screen.

I have tried them both on there own and they are fine,I have also tried seperating them to IDE 2 secondary and the other to IDE 3 primary and still nothing,not forgeting to mention that the manufacturer recommends the IDE 1 primary is for the hard drive.

socket A motherboard-GA 7N400 pro2

Also add that on Bios start up before windows xp kicks in, there are no cd rom or dvd rom detected in IDE preview.

cheers

Without knowing the exact specifics, your IDE 1 primary is genrally reserved for your hard drive as the Master. You can place a CD Rom on IDE 1 only as a slave. You would want to make sure that the CD Rom is jumpered accordingly. You have to be careful to read the specs of the CD Rom as some only want to work as Master.

The second CD Rom you can put in IDE 2. If there is no other device , this can be jumpered as Master.

You must also look at the DMA and PIO support for each device.

thanks guy's, problem fixed.

My mate had changed the jumper on cd rom, and had both dvd and cd on master.