Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Eshindi

ndiswrapper wont respond with Suse 10.0

i installed ndiswrapper from source forge

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswrapper/

and read nearly every thread about ndiswrapper

installed and reinstalled ndiswrapper numerous times, tried different commands that ppl posted and different techniques

following these steps i even chatted with the guy that wrote this page

http://nextgen.no-ip.org/~andrew/linux/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapperinfo10.php

i have the compaq v2710us

with the Broadcom model BCM4318[AirForce One 54g] Wireless LAN Controller

im using the drivers that are for the laptop's WiFi card for WinXP

im using Ndiswrapper version 1.21

here are some other facts

ndiswrapper -l

Installed Drivers:

bcmwl5 Driver Installed, Hardware Present

modprobe ndiswrapper

<nothing>

ifup wlan0

ERROR: Interface wlan0 is not available

ifstatus wlan0

ERROR: Interface wlan0 is not available

dmesg

http://www.openalfred.com/chuck/Screenshot.jpg

<read the bottom of the picture output about ndiswrapper>

I really dont like wat dmesg is giving me, everything seems fine till i 'rmmod ndisrapper' then 'modprobe ndiswrapper' and get that right after in my 'dmesg'.

any ideas or in need or more info

I've been reading up on SuSE and ndiswrapper, based on another thread. The article that you referenced is very good. Anyway, did you....

1. Install the kernel source package BEFORE installing the ndiswrapper package?

2. Remove the old ndiswrapper modules that come with SuSE, as outlined in the article, before installing the new package?

Quote:
and read nearly every thread about ndiswrapper

installed and reinstalled ndiswrapper numerous times, tried different commands that ppl posted and different techniques

This is generally a mistake, as it can muck up the works. Stick with one plan, such as the article that you referenced.

When you say that you installed and reinstalled several times, did you do make clean then make install on each attempt, or did you just try make install. make clean clears out the old files and starts over.

You got no compile errors during the installation?

Quote:
modprobe ndiswrapper

<nothing>

Your good til this point. When you just get a return to the command prompt, without any error messages, this means the module loaded. However, dmesg seems to indicate to me that something is wrong. It may be that you forgot to remove the old ndiswrapper drivers that came with SuSE, or that the kernel source is not installed?

1. Install the kernel source package BEFORE installing the ndiswrapper package?

yes the Kerel Source package is installed, there is a check mark next to it in YaST>Software Management.

2. Remove the old ndiswrapper modules that come with SuSE, as outlined in the article, before installing the new package?

There was no check in the box next to Ndiswrapper in YaST>Software Management (even after i install it with the extracted files the box is still unchecked, is it suppose to be?)

And yes i used make clean and make install i also did ndiswrapper -e bcwml5 to remove the driver before i did make clean.

"It may be that you forgot to remove the old ndiswrapper drivers that came with SuSE"

and how can i remove the old drivers that came with SuSE?

ndiswrapper is uninstalled before i do anything.