Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Myke

Disabling Preview Pane in Outlook 2002

Regardless of how "secure" Microsoft and others claim that the Preview Pane feature is, I do not trust it. If it weren't for my anal retentive habit of checking for antivirus updates about 3 times a day, my network would be severely compromised. This is partly due to the other employees' refusal to keep the Preview Pane disabled.

Here is what I would like to accomplish, but have not found out how to do. I would like to completely disable Preview Pane from all machines on my network, so much that I want to probibit all uses from the ability to even turn it back on again. I've looked through a few articles, but couldn't really find a good answer. Each version just turns it off until the user turns it back on, which is stupid.

Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Although you feel like preview pane is insecure im not sure you realize what disabling it implicates.

if said user has no preview, he will undoubtely open the potentially infected mail causing precisely the unwanted damage

on the other hand, having the preview permits, with little knowledge of what spam is, to delete it before hand.

that said, the preview is displayed in text format (not html) which renders the malacious code ineffective. of course displaying in text format is in the options somewhere and you can further increase security by disabling all other widgets from being displayed at all.

I do understand that disabling preview can allow for users to open e-mails they do not know the contents of, but our small agency has been thoroughly instructed to not do so (yes, we enforce it pretty well). The problem with preview pane is that if it is turned on in the deleted items box, it's opened when they try to delete it.

And from my experience (despite what any documentation claims), the preview pane does, in fact, execute embedded code. We need to prevent users from enabling the preview pane.

Anyone else have a solution which will do this?