Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Y2K

Cannot connect to the internet

I am running a dual boot machine using windows xp and i just installed ubuntu 6.06.

I am connecting to the internet with a usb.

On windows i used the cd i received from my interent provider,

When i use the internet with windows, everything is ok, but i do not know where to go and how to connect using ubuntu.

By the way, im new at linux.

Can someone help me please.

Thanx

Can you give us a little more information?

Quote:
I am connecting to the internet with a usb.

A USB what, modem? Can you give a make and model number?

Are you connecting to the internet via broadband, dialup or DSL? Which provider?

Do you have an Ethernet (NIC) card in your system? If you don't know, what is the make and model of your system?

The CD from the Internet provider helps to configure your network for Windows, of course, not for Linux. Knowing the answer to the questions posed will help us understand what type of Internet connection that you have and possibly how to connect to the Internet successfully.

Thank you for your quick reply

I am using a usb modem.

It was given to me by my provider and on it it's written:

"BFOCUS Combo 285PR"

I have a 1Mb ADSL connection

My computer has an ethernet card, but at the time the i put the internet, the provider only had usb modems.

Thanx

Your modem is designed to establish an Internet connection both from USB and from an Ethernet connection. You can connect one box to USB and another to the ethenet port, with a CAT5 cable.

The best 9and easiest) way to do this, is to establish a connection to the ethernet port on the router (modem) and run both Linux and Windows from an ethernet connection. Of course, this is if you have either an ethernet card in the system, or have an onboard ethernet chip on the motherboard itself. If you don know, give the make and model of the motherboard and we can tell you if there is an onboard NIC on the motherboard. Of course, if there is not, you would need to know if there is a PCI ethernet card in the system or not. You can get this information from within Linux or Windows.

See if your provider can offer support about switching to an ethernet connection. You should be able to re-install with the provider supplied CD (in Windows) after connecting to ethernet only (without USB), but check with them first. Explain what you are tring to do.

Once you have a connection to ethernet, Ubuuntu will pick up the NIC card to the router.

However, the question is, do you have a username and password that is needed to connect to the provider? This would have to be configured in Ubuntu. This is what I meant by usng the providers installation CD in Windows. The installation process should have asked you during the installation phase, what the username and password was (that was given to you by your provider) to establish the connection.

Either way, you need this information to establish a connection in Linux, or in Windows. The installation CD assisted you in the process in order to configure the Windows connection correctly.

If your ADSL connection is always on (no username and password needed to connect, such as in broadband), then disregard this username and password information.