Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
loserboy02

Armagetron

anyone know if theres a way to get dapper to run the latest stable version of armagetron...i posted in the ubuntu forums but no answer

I assume you mean to install tha source package? I did find a thread located here that gives some hints.

Also, armagetron is included in the Dapper repository, as noted here.

hey danleff thanks for the reply,

I have the version installed from the repos, but its an older version and not many servers are running it anymore, and i'm pretty new at all things linux (in fact you helped me choose ubuntu) so I don't know how to do the source stuff, but i'm looking at the link you gave me to see what I can do anyway....if you find anything easier let me know thanks

Which exact version are you trying to install? Can you give a link to the exact source?

This is the next step in installing packages in Linux, from source. If you want the latest, then you have to consider this option.

The Ubuntu wiki is a good place to start, as well. See the article on the wiki here on installing tarballs.

I don't use this game (or many at all), but the key is the format that the latest package is in. It seems that there are a few installer types out there, so giving a link to what you are trying exactly will help.

"0.2.8.2 stable" is the version i want, and i downloaded "bin package (x86_64)" off of http://www.armagetronad.net/downloads.php but appearently i cant run .package files. so then after you showed me that link I downloaded the source files....but i have no idea what im doing, i've started posting on the main armagetron site also to see if they'll help....

Edit: ok someone is tellin me i need autopackage so ill let you know what happens.

I saw your post on the forums. It looks like you should be in business soon. Let us know.

Great!

This shows why I refer folks to other distro specific forums at times. These forums are a good place to start, but sometimes the user specific forums have users who have already solved the problem specific to that distro. It can save time. This was the case here, where a specific package, not installed by default in Ubuntu, was needed to get the installer to run.

loserboy02 was also using a run package installer type, so this is different from source. Important to know in this case, hence the question that I had about what exact package was being installed.