Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
g0kth

Can't connect to the Internet / network

I'm running a dual boot machine (FC4 64 and Win XP 64 Pro) and when I'm using FC4 I can't connect to either the Internet or see the other PC on my home network.

When I'm using Win XP everything works fine.

The PC is connected to an Edimax AR-6024 Router and I suspect that this is where my problem lies. I think the problem is in the lack of a suitable Linux driver for this router. I have been trying to find a Linux driver for this Router but drawn a blank so far.

Is there anyone out there using this Router or can give me any pointers as to whether this is the root of my problem.

I have also tried using Knoppix, booted from a CD, and that can't find the network / internet either.

Any help would be appreciated.

I looked up this router. It has 4 ethernet ports. If you hooked the network up via a LAN card-->CAT5 (Ethernet) cable, rather than via usb, this should work.

Do you have a LAN card or built-in Ethernet in your system?

There are no USB drivers that I could find for this router, as well.

I assume this is a DSL provider that you have?

Do you have to login with a user ID and password to access the DSL connection?

Hi Danleff

The router does indeed have 4 ethernet ports and a USB port.

My motherboard is an ASRock 939 Dual SATA 2 with built in LAN (which according to the manual is a 802.3u 10/100 Ethernet. Onlooking at the properties of the LAN through the Win XP Control Panel it says that it is a ULi PCI Fast Ethernet Controller).

I am using a DSL provider and as I said in my initial post it all works under Windows XP 64.

When I set the router up I had to go to a configuration page to enter my user ID and password.

If you need anymore info let me know.

If you have an 939Dual-SATA2 board, then you have Realtek RTL8201CL 10/100 Ethernet LAN PHY. Nice board! You should be using Fedora Core 5!

Reference

In any case, connect the LAN (ethernet connection) to one of the connections on the back of the modem, via a CAT5 cable.

Then follow the directions listed here.

Remember, the connection was set up by the ISP Provider's CD disk for Windows, not the case in Linux. So, you need to do it somewhat manually.

If your connection is dynamic, not static, you should be able to forgo the need to input the Primary and secondary DNS numbers from you dsl provider.