Compatible Support Forums
hiii000p

Sims 2 won't install

I got the Sims 2 when it first came out. It worked fine on my computer, but then we deleted XP, and I couldn't install it again. It said:

A problem has occured when trying to transfer the file 'TSData\Res\Sims3D\Textures.package' from the media. Do you want to retry to copy the file, or cancel the installation?

If I click retry, it goes up 1%, then it comes up again. It'll go to 100% and just stop. When my aunt came over, I asked her if she knew what it was or how to fix it, and she said that when we deleted XP, we deleted something and we need that to install it. She didn't have time to fix it. So, I was wondering if anyone knew what this was and how to fix it. Thanks.

Quote:

The installation freezes or you get an installation error.

First thing to try obviously is to check the CD/DVD for scratches or marks and clean.

Try renaming the InstallShield folder.

Double-click on the My Computer icon.
Double-Click on the C:
Double-Click on Program Files then on Common Files.
Right-Click on the InstallShield folder.
Select Rename.
Rename it to InstallShieldOld.
Start the installation again to reinstall the InstallShield components with the newest version.

If that doesn't work try a copying the files to your hard drive and installing from there.

FOR CD:

Go into My Computer.
Open drive C.
Right-click inside the window and select New, and then Folder.
Name the folder as Disk Images (it is important that the name has a space in it).
Open the disk images folder.
Name this folder Disk1.
Repeat steps 6 and 7 while substituting Disk1 for Disk2 and so on until there are 4 'Disk' folders followed by a number 1 through 4. it is important to note there must not be a space between "Disk" and the number.
Insert Disk 1 of The Sims 2 into your CD-Rom drive and if the autoplay starts, cancel it.
Go into My Computer.
Right-click on your CD-ROM drive and choose Open.
When you see the contents of the disk in the Window, click on Edit at the top of the window and choose Select All.
All the contents of the disk should now be highlighted, click on Edit at the top of the window again and choose Copy.
Open the Disk1 folder you created under C: Disk Images; click on Edit at the top of the window and choose Paste. This will copy the contents of the CD into the Disk1 folder.
Repeat steps 9 through 14 for the remaining disks until you have copied each disk into its appropriate folder.
Once all the disks have been copied, remove ALL CDs from any drives.
Open the Disk1 folder under Disk Images and double-click on autorun.exe to start the installation.
To save disk space, you can delete the Disk Images folders after the installation is complete.

FOR DVD:

Insert the DVD into the DVD-rom drive. Exit the startup menu when it comes up.
Double click My Computer, then right click on the DVD-rom drive with the game DVD in it and select Explore.
Hold the CTRL key and then hit A. That should select all the folders and files.
Then hold CTRL and hit C. This will not look like it does much, but it's preparing to copy the files.
Close that folder and go to your desktop. Right click anywhere BUT on an icon, and Select New, then Folder. Name the folder Sims2 DVD.
Then double-click that folder, and hit CTRL and V. This will begin copying the files from the DVD.
Once the files are copied, remove the disc from the drive.
Double-click on the Setup icon in the folder.
You may delete the Sims2 DVD folder once the installation is complete.

Yeah..I did that when the other person said to and it didn't work. Anything else?

when i try install sims2 it freezes on either 23% or 77% what can i do!? help me please!!!!

laugh AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

After a year of not being able to play Sims 2 because it wouldn't install this tip finally helped!!

I searched high and low for a solution and found it here! Well, it at least gave me an idea of what to do.

Follow what says on Post #173798

But you might find that when copying the "compressed", video, or sound folders it gives you errors (it did to me many times).

I then opened the "compressed" folder on the disk and copied the individual folders on my Desktop (you might have to copy file by file). Then go to your Desktop and compress the folders (2 or 3 depending[CSBin,TSData,TSBin]) and the change the name to "compressed" and move this folder from the Destop to the Disk1 folder (or Disk2, Disk3, etc).

Make sure ALL the internal files (specially the TSData) have been copied or you might be able to start the game but not open lots or create people.

I had to do this for all my expansion packs (a real 5+ hour pain!) but I was finally able to play all my Expansion Packs!!! 8)

Hope you are able to fix this annoying problem!!!

Oh! And remember to erase all traces of you old files from previous installation attemps from your C://Programs Files>EA Games>The Sims2 folder.

And just in case also erase your Registry.

Good Luck!

Vicky

I'm having the same problem with Sims deluxe. I had it installed and then one day it wouldn't work. I tried reinstalling it but a little message popped up saying there was a problem with install shield ikernel or however you spell it... does anyone have tips for that?bold text[font:arial]Using arial font[/font]

okay sence u helped the other peoson out with that problem mabey u can help me out... okay what happend is i had to re-boot the whole computer which deleted my sims 2.... well when it was all done re-booting, i went back to install sims 2. and it was taking along time, then it said that WINDOWS CAN'T FIND WIN32. i don't even know what that is. i thought it just could not read the disk. so i clean it and try again. the same window came up saying WINDOWS CAN'T FIND WIN32. can someone please tell me how to get this WIN32 back? i miss playing sims 2. frown

by the way i have windows XP. and my computer is a laptop.

Win32 sounds like some thing some spyware software has installed. Scan your PC for spyware to remove it.

Well umm hi there everyone. I have the same proplem as Hiii000p and I was wonderin' if any of y'all could help me out. I just love the sims 2 and now for some reason its not working. I think my brother uninstalled it but every time i try to reinstall it it says that stuff about 'TSData\Res\Sims3D\Textures.package'. So now my Laptop Computer isn't letting me play The Sims 2 ! I'm so upset 'cause I love that game and I can play for hours :P .... So if any of y'all know any ideas please tell me!!!

Thanks a bunch! smile

Originally Posted By: dcsgirl
But you might find that when copying the "compressed", video, or sound folders it gives you errors (it did to me many times).
I then opened the "compressed" folder on the disk and copied the individual folders on my Desktop (you might have to copy file by file). Then go to your Desktop and compress the folders (2 or 3 depending[CSBin,TSData,TSBin]) and the change the name to "compressed" and move this folder from the Destop to the Disk1 folder (or Disk2, Disk3, etc).
Make sure ALL the internal files (specially the TSData) have been copied or you might be able to start the game but not open lots or create people.

I've been trying this. I was copying everything from my discs onto my hard drive, and I just having the same problem with the 'compressed' file on disc 3. I figured this explained the error message I kept getting after a 76% install ("A problem occured when trying to transfer the file 'TSData\Res\Sound\RnB.package' from the media"). So, I used CD Check to recover and repair the file. Great, the compressed file has now been successfully copied onto my hard drive....

...or not. I tried installing off my hard drive, making sure to pull all the install cd's out first, and I got stuck at 76% again. I tried extracting the problem file, RnB, from both the disc and the copy on my hard drive, but WinRar gave a a meesage that the file is corrupt...("C:\Disk Images\Disk3\compressed.zip: CRC failed in TSData\Res\Sound\RnB.package. The file is corrupt")

Please don't tell me that this means that I have no way of playing this game??!!!

Someone please help, I've been at this for almost over a month

Thank you immensely in advance if you have a solution!!!

well I bought my game a few days ago had to reinstall my os everything works cept Sims 2.Ive tried doin everything listed above and nothing helps? I even exchanged my old one for a new copy and still nothin.What is goin on can someone help me?

I had the same problem with the same error message. I tried the different suggestions except for the one copying to hard drive, (but only cos i couldnt be bothered lol). Before i tried that i decided to try a different CD drive and bingo, my game went on sweet as a nut. It appears it didnt like my new lightscribe dvd drive and prefered my old ancient CD rom!

Might be worth trying if all else fails, it worked for me.

I also has a similar problame. I've tried to installe the sims 2 dozens of times and it allways froze on a random placement. Also I have had the sims 2 for 4 months and I have not played it and it has no smears and smudges. I finally tried to install it directlly to drive d: instead of drive c: because drive d: has the most space

so first of tell me if that was the mistake just in case.

Well after about 45 minutes of constant file shifting I got them all on the drive. So my father started the autorun program on the file disk1. It ran smoothly no problames, until it asked to put disk 2 in!? My father tried it two times and used both options. "OK" "CANCLE" If you picked ok then you had to have the disk in. If you click cancel, then it stops installing.

My computor is also a xp modle with an extra home drive with barely anything on it, even though I am able to get into it I can't use it until I activate it. I have allready tried to install the sims 2 and wahoo I did it! Sadly when I went to run the sims 2 and start the game It told me to install the diretd x9.0 thingy. That drive does not have internet, is there another way to get diredt x9.0 without the internet, please tell me.

this is the way of installation I used.

Go into My Computer.

Open drive C.

Name the folder as Disk Images (it is important that the name has a space in it).

Open the disk images folder.

Name this folder Disk1.

Repeat steps 6 and 7 while substituting Disk1 for Disk2 and so on until there are 4 'Disk' folders followed by a number 1 through 4. it is important to note there must not be a space between "Disk" and the number.

Insert Disk 1 of The Sims 2 into your CD-Rom drive and if the autoplay starts, cancel it.

Go into My Computer.

Right-click on your CD-ROM drive and choose Open.

When you see the contents of the disk in the Window, click on Edit at the top of the window and choose Select All.

All the contents of the disk should now be highlighted, click on Edit at the top of the window again and choose Copy.

Open the Disk1 folder you created under C: Disk Images; click on Edit at the top of the window and choose Paste. This will copy the contents of the CD into the Disk1 folder.

Repeat steps 9 through 14 for the remaining disks until you have copied each disk into its appropriate folder.

Once all the disks have been copied, remove ALL CDs from any drives.

Open the Disk1 folder under Disk Images and double-click on autorun.exe to start the installation.

To save disk space, you can delete the Disk Images folders after the installation is complete.

I did this all as it says except the drive C: thing instaed I put it in drive D:

These are my questions.

1.Did I put it in the right drive?

2.why is it asking for the second disk?

3.Is there a better way to install it?

4.Is there another way to get diredt x9.0 without connection.

5.Do I seriously need a whole new drive!?

by the way you don't have to answer them all at the same time just try to answer as many as possible.

thanks in advance, Catnapgood

Quote AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

After a year of not being able to play Sims 2 because it wouldn't install this tip finally helped!!

I searched high and low for a solution and found it here! Well, it at least gave me an idea of what to do.

I had to do this for all my expansion packs (a real 5+ hour pain!) but I was finally able to play all my Expansion Packs!!! 8)

Hope you are able to fix this annoying problem!!!

Oh! And remember to erase all traces of you old files from previous installation attemps from your C://Programs Files>EA Games>The Sims2 folder.

And just in case also erase your Registry.

Good Luck!

Vicky

I have a few questions to ask on this. When i attempt to do this the file Voice5.package will still not copy. It just shuts down my explorer. Ty for any help

I had this same problem. And it happened to me twice, once on disk 1 and again on disk 2.

What you have to do is clean the disks that are having the problems (or all disks just to make sure they are clean) with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). dab it on a clean cloth and clean the disk. then wipe with another dry clean cloth.

THEN follow the advice given on post #173798 if you are still having issues.

This worked for me and my disks were slightly scratched. Hope I helped!

Heyyy ppl .. i got a problem with the sims 2 .. ! i install it perfectly .. but when it goes to play .. askes me for the correct cd rom frown i tryed CD1,2,3,4 an it dosent work .. i dont know what to do now

plz help thank you

URGENT!!

(pc_adict)

Relax i have this problem on numerous games simcity4 ect.... i find the soultuion to be a dirty disc all you do is clean it on a soft shirt or something and reinstall the game it works for me

TRY THAT

JAMIE!