Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Olliey2k

Problem with my home network

Hey all,

I have just set up a wireless network at home using Netgear products. I have one Desktop PC and 2 Laptops running off the network. The desktop PC and the first Laptop are running perfectly, but on the second laptop, it is unable to connect.

When i go into my network settings and click on the "View Availible Wireless Networks" they NETGEAR network is not listed, even with the laptop right next to the router. I thought it might have been a problem with my internal wireless network card, so i installed the NETGEAR wireless USB adaptor and tried to connect to the network through that, and unfortunatly still no luck >_<

Anyone have some advice they might be able to give me?

Thanks alot

Ollie

Ollie,

Just wanted to get more info... What OS are u using? What kind of laptop is it? Here are some general pointers I've found useful try and make sure you have a good baseline to start with, such as virus protection up to date, spyware up to date (broken record huh?). If all that is good did you try running a scan disk and general maint defrag stuff? Also, have you tried using the wireless card from the first (good) laptop in the one you cant connect with. Check your Device Manager and look for red or yellow check marks could indicate driver issues.

Ron

Another thing to take a look at in order to see if it really is your internal NIC is to ping the loopback address (127.0.0.1) in the command prompt. If you don't receive any replies, then your NIC is fried and it needs to be replaced.

If you do get replies, then it is something else. Try connecting the laptop to the router with a patch cable and see if you can even connect to the Internet that way.

While all of this seems tedious, it will help diagnose your problem.