Photo

Stop the presses - another FC5 & XP dual-boot problem!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shum63

shum63

stranger

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:58 AM

It's amazing that this issue has been around since Fedora Core 2, and it is still present. I have a new PC with an AMD Athlon 64 processor, and it came with XP Media Center Edition installed. Using Partition Magic, I created a Linunx partition. I started the install of FC5 x86_64 from a DVD and it seemed to go well. When grub came up, it listed only FC, but using the down arrrow key, I was able to choose "other". A restore program came up, and after trying several recovery attempts, I was forced to do a complete XP reinstall, so I'm back to square one.

I've seen plenty of "try this" messages around the internet, but is there an authorative, up-to-date, and complete explanation of this problem, and how it can be avoided or fixed?

#2 danleff

danleff

Carpal Tunnel

• Moderators
  • 2903 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 05:35 AM

Three. OK four quick questions.

1. What "restore" program came up?

2. What exact make and model PC is this?

3. Did you actually point the Fedora installation to the pre-formatted partition that you made, or allow a default installation during the partitioning phase?

4. I also assume the Fedora installation was on the same hard drive with Windows (one hard drive in the system)?

#3 danleff

danleff

Carpal Tunnel

• Moderators
  • 2903 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 07:40 PM

OK, I may have a possible reason for the problem. It seems that some systems have a recovery partition for XP. I would guess that Grub is invoking that recovery partition, not the actual XP OS partition. Can you make sure that you post what make and model computer that you have?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq