Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Yankee

Suse linux 10.1 and WPA2

Hello,

I'm new to Linux and need some help setting up a WLAN. I have a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo M 1437G which uses the InellPRO/wireless 2200bg. All the drivers are installed and configured and the hardware is reconized by Linux. I have been able to set up a WLAN using WEP or WPA but the rest of the machines on the network (Windows XP) are using WPA2 and I would like to continue using it.

Is it possible to confugure this version of Linux to use WPA2 or should I switch to another version of Linux. If it is possible please point me to a page with instructions on how to do this.

Btw I'm running Suse linux 10.1 using the Gnome desktop.

Thank you for the help!

Chris

I have been reluctant to switch to WPA. Once you get the system up with WEP....My wife will kill me if I mess with her internet connection again!

I remember reading that WPA2 is supported. However, this was an article with SuSE running KDE and using the Knetwork Maanger. The option was there in the wireless section for either straight WPA or WPA2.

I assume that both the router and the specific NIC on your system support this natively (without any supplemental updates)?

Do the InellPRO/wireless 2200bg drivers support this?

Anyone out there done this?

Both the router and the laptop work with WPA2. Is KDE another desktop under Suse 10.1? If it is I don't mind reinstalling and switching desktops if that's what it takes. Having just installed last Sunday I have nothing to lose!

Chris

You do not have to reinstall to use KDE desktop. I use KDE with SUSE, as it is my favorite, however, I also use a lot of GNOME applications. So, I merely install GNOME and KDE, and select KDE as my default desktop. Linux is quite nice, as most all GNOME applications will run under KDE and KDE under GNOME. I would suggest installing KDE, if you have not done so already and switching to KDE as your default desktop.

Cheers,

zenarcher

I am just downloading SuSE 10.1 DVD, so I can look at this further.

When you are at the login window menu screen (to input your username and password), click on the "session" menu and see of KDE is one of the options. If so, choose KDE as the desktop for this boot. If it is not a choice, then you will most likely need to install it.

Under the sessions menu KDE is not available. How do I add it to my current install?

Thanks

Chris

If i am missing for a few days, it's because I am installing SuSE 10.1 (or lost track of this thread). Things may have changed a little, so I can't make an informed response right now. Zenarcher, do you have a quick answer for this, since you have a running installation going?

Thanks for all the help danleff and zenarcher. I've tried a couple of more things to get the KDE destop running but so far no luck. I like the challange of learning something new! When the network is sorted out I'm going to try to get the volume control knob on the side of the laptop working.

Chris

Looks like WPA2 has been discussed in various places. See the article here.

I'm looking for a good article on installing KDE POST install of Suse 10.1, but have not had too much luck. Hmm...much easier in Ubuntu.

Looks like WPA2 has been discussed in various places. See the article here.

I'm looking for a good article on installing KDE POST install of Suse 10.1, but have not had too much luck. Hmm...much easier in Ubuntu.

I don't mind trying a different flavor of linix. The Suse install is less than a week old and the only tweaking I've done is to install tha ATI drivers. I grab the Ubuntu tonight and give it a try. I'll post back after I've insatlled it and let you know how everything is going.

Chris

Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I've been busy installing SUSE 10.1 in three of my machines here...two desktop and a notebook.

As for KDE, they have changed the method of acquiring packages and updates. Likewise, SUSE had a major glitch in YAST when released and it just was broken. Most all is fixed now, but you must do your first update with SMART...and KDE updates have also been moved to SMART. SMART is really quite cool and works great. You MUST NOT install the SMART package with SUSE....you have to use the one from GURU....as he has added all the sources you need, as well. You can download it here for your appropriate backages...get all packages and install:

http://linux01.gwdg.de/~pbleser/rpm-navigation.php?cat=System/smart/

Then, run SMART. Make sure to go into Channels and mark all boxes, so you get all of the updates. This will also fix most of the broken YAST files.

Please also read this:

http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/254/42/

If you are having problems with YAST, I should be able to help. It is working fine now....but different than previous versions of SUSE...and due to KDE package up[censored], you must use it with SMART for KDE updates.

As for adding KDE to your new installation, go into YAST>Software Management and select Packages. Go down the list on the right side and add all KDE packages....Make sure you check the Autocheck Dependencies box, so you get everything you need. Then, you can switch to KDE desktop, which I prefer.

Cheers,

zenarcher

When you have completed the SMART install and YAST fixes I posted above, please go to this link and read and follow the instructions for the newest fix for the Updater. It iw working just great, since I did this fix....Now checking for updates regularly. Be sure to check and install the patches shown in YAST, as well.

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS3687730057.html

When you have completed the SMART install and YAST fixes I posted above, please go to this link and read and follow the instructions for the newest fix for the Updater. It iw working just great, since I did this fix....Now checking for updates regularly. Be sure to check and install the patches shown in YAST, as well.

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS3687730057.html

Thanks for the help. I tried all the fixes you suggested zenarcher... After installing SMART it kept giving me a read only mode error. I also tried to get the libzypp updates and kept recieving an error. After about six hours of trying I decided to do a reinstall. Problems solved. I now have all the updates installed and the wireless network up and running with WPA2.

After having tried both I must admit that I prefer the KDE desktop to GNOME.

Do you know of any good articles on networking linux with windows XP? If so please post some links so I can check them out.

Thanks

Chris

Yes, I think often you can get a glitch during the install. I see so many installation problems on the forums and it's just my belief that they are most likely due to downloads or burns or bad blank disks. Saying that, I always get commercial disks and rarely encounter a problem. Glad you got it all working. Smart is quite nice for updates. Check for updates and you will find many, I know.....I've found a load of them...especially for KDE.

I'm sorry but I don't have any experience with Windows and Linux on the same box. I've never run any in that configuration. We have one Windows box here....which my wife uses to play a couple of games...and I use to update the GPS....and use it when I'm walking someone through problems with Windows on the phone. That's about it. Everything else we run is straight Linux. I just use a USB switch to switch between different boxes and the printer....and have a KVM switch so my wife can use the Linux box and the Windows box with the same monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Perhaps Danleff has more of an idea on the dual boot box and networking.

Cheers,

zenarcher

Yes, networking with another box has always been a mistery in SuSE for me. In Lindows, it can be done automatically. In Puppy Linux, they used LinNeighborhood. In the older versions, they actually linked to an article that I wrote on how to get it going. It is now very much automated.

I assume you just want to share some folders and files from another Windows box?

I looked in the SuSE wiki, but this article needs editing and is quite technical.

Let me look at my SuSE installation and see what I find. It's been a little while.

Are the folders in the Windows box marked to share with others on the Network?

BTW, I'm glad you got the WPA2 up and going. All I could find were links relevent to either having both Gnome and KDE installed, during the base installation, or having KDE installed by default. So, the easiest solution for you was to do a re-installation. I too like KDE, but it looks like SuSE has moved away from this in favor of Gnome.

I install both KDE and GNOME, as I use a lot of GNOME applications, but I do always install KDE by default, as it's the desktop that I'm comfortable using.

Cheers,

zenarcher