Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rizwanahmad

playing audio/video files in fc5

hello danleff...am very new to linux and installed fc5 a couple of days ago..i have a compaq presario notebook which comes with intel motherboad and built in sound/video chipset...i cannot play any mp3 or video file in fc5 ...fc5 detects my sound card and i can hear the testing sound but none of the players in fc5 plays the mp3 and video files that i have in cd's and in my hard disk..thanx alot for your help in advance..thanx

hey danleff..hope you'll be doing good...i went through the mp3 section on unofficial fedora faq and i installed all plugins and packages mentioned there but i'm still unable to play the mp3 files..am searching to solve the problem but your guidence is always very appericiated..thanx..

Which MP3 package did you install? I can have a look at this in the next day or so. Did you use the author's yum configuration setup referred to on the Unofficial Fedora FAQ page?

I assume you are using the Gnome desktop GUI. If this is the case, don't install the KDE player.

hey danleff...thanx alot for your quick reply...yes i did install the yum configuration reffered in FQA...and i have installed both GNOME and KDE GUI ...but cant play any mp3 or video files ...and i've got another problem now..well its not really a problem for me...but some other family members use the same computer that i use and they want the windows xp OS on it aswell...when i installed linux i only used the half of the hard drive..so partioning is not an issue...but when i reboot my pc with xp cd...it does boot up with cd but the screen does blank and nuthing happens...i've got this compaq note book which've got celeron 1.3 ghz processor...i'll be very thankful to you for your help...

Assuming that you have a full Windows XP installation disk....

Windows need to see a fat32 or NTFS partition on the drive for it to start the installation process. It can't read Linux partitions or unformatted drive space.

However, if you install Windows now, it will overwrite the MBR and you will only get the ability to boot Windows. The best way to dual boot both, would have been to install Windows first, then Fedora. Then the Fedora installation would have configured grub to dual boot both Windows and Fedora.

It is a bit tricky to get both to work if you install Windows last, since Fedora's grub does not know about the Windows installation. Some have done it, but it is not easy for novice users of Linux.

not able to play audio files on suse 10.1 plz help...

tell me abt suitable drivers needed and where can i get them

Please be a bit more specific.

Do you have any sound at all on the system?

What type of audio files are you trying to play?

The same rules apply to SuSE. There are patent issues on some formats, so it's important to know what type of files you are trying to play and what player you are using in SuSE.

i hv a dual boot win 2000 and suse

there is no sound on linux.....

basically i m looking for the audio drivers.

thanx

Sound drivers are already installed in a default installation of SuSE. When you did the installation, did you make sure that the sound was configured during the installation process? There should have been a summary window that listed your hardware (video, sound etc..) and told you if sound was configured or not.

It may be that sound is just muted. Did you check the sound mixer and see if sound is turned up?

By just telling us that you need sound driver, we know nothing about your system. If in fact sound is not working because of a driver issue, then we really need to know what soundcard is in your system.

Is this onboard sound, or are you using a PCI soundcard? If you don't know, please post the make and exact model of your system.

I also just noticed that you posted the same question on another thread. Pick one thread and go with that we can keep all your relevent information under one thread.

ill keep my future reply in this thread only...

i hv PCI soundcard and it was detected during the installation.

also the sound is not muted

how can i check if there is sum configuration problem

Get into Yast and have the system configure the sound card. See if this works. I'm rusty on this, but start-->System--> Yast?

I have not used SuSE for a while, so the memory fades.

I can think of a couple of other possible problems. this system only has the PCI soundcard on it and no onboard sound?

What is the make and model of the sound card?