Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kbincph

HP 4200C ScanJet + Nvidia motherboard, Scan application hangs

Hey smile

I just re-installed XP and had the same problem I always have: The HP4200C ScanJet will not work. I got the sj655en.exe 30MB software & driver download from the HP site, and it just does not work. The scanning application freezes while showing the splash screen image.

Somewhere on the HP site I remember finding something about an issue with nVidia motherboard / USB / HP 4200C Scanjet, but I cant find it again, and in any case they provided no workaround.

Last time I installed XP, about a year ago, miraculously the thing worked (provided I didn't use the buttons on the scanner and never switched it on until the pc was up and running ... but it worked ...), but I have no recollection of doing anything special.

If anyone could help or have solved a similar issue, I'd greatly appreciate hearing about it.

Sincerely

Kim

Hi Kim:

In case you are still wating for a response, I had the same problem when I converted my desktop to XP a few years ago, but I was able to get it working. The other day, my USB hub fell off the desk and the 4200's USB cable came out. After I plugged it back in, I could not get the scanner to work (got a message that the computer couldn't find it when I tried to lauch the scanning application), even though all diagnostics said it was installed and working properly. Unfortunately, I could not remember how I got it working a few years ago.

After much trial & error over the last day, this procedure seems to have worked (in this exact order):

1) Unplugged the scanner (both USB & power cord)

2) Uninstalled scanner software

3) Installed downloaded new scanner software (that you already have)

4) Shut down computer

5) Reattached power and then USB

6) Restarted computer

7) With scanner on & attached, ran the XP update (sj700en.exe)

8) Restarted computer

Let me know if this works for you. Sounds like you were halfway there. The key may be the XP upgrade (small program) and the order of steps.

Good luck.

wellsie