Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dann_in_NH

Ghosting SATA to EIDE

I am building a new computer and will be using the WD 74GHz SATA drive for my primary. Two other IDE drives from the older computer will be used as they contain all my video and picture data.

Each month I ghost my primary (C:\) drive as well as the video and picture drives using Ghost (I boot off the Ghost floppy and run from the DOS environment).

I would like to continue this with the new SATA drive but I don't want to buy another rack/tray for the SATA drive and another SATA drive at this time. I would like to use existing IDE drives that I have and use them, well, just one for the SATA backup.

Is this possible?

Thanks for any help.

hi Dann_in_! Welcome to to the forum!

I've read your post several times, i can't get the problem. will be your windows installed on the sata drive?

I am in the process of building the "new computer".

I will be installing XP on the SATA drive and would like to back it (the SATA drive)up to an IDE drive since I have so many of them and I have numerous IDE racks/trays which I can use. I have two other drives (which are going to be installed) both of which are IDE and I am sure that I can continue to back these up to other IDE drives using the IDE rack that I plan to install. I just want to put another IDE drive in a spare tray and back up the SATA (with operating system on it) to an IDE hard drive using Norton Ghost. I boot from a floppy so there won't be any Windows interaction.

In the past, ie, in my other computer, I had one rack and 3 trays. One tray was for the operating disk, the other two were for pics and videos. I used Ghost without any problems.

I just want to have a backup of the system drive/operating system without having to reload all the programs.

Hope this better explains what I want to do.

Thanks

No problem in what you plan to do.

I backup from SATA to IDE or IDE to SATA using Ghost 2003 and have been since SATA drives came out.

Thanks for the good news.

One last concern, do I have to set/use any switches to ensure there aren't any problems from the "Ghost options" menu.

I have been to that screen and am aware that there are some switches that can be set.

Thank you.

hello again Dann_in_NH! I don't think that it may cause any problems, so don't worry:)