Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pjcunnin

Booting to windows from Grub just takes me back to the main grub screen

Hello again danleff,

Well, now I was able to install Grub onto my MBR. What worked for me was doing in linux rescue mode:

chroot mnt/sysimage/

/sbin/grub-install --recheck /dev/hda

And that was I was able to avoid errors that I have read other having.

So after that I went into grub.conf and edited it.

I changed the timeout to 50 seconds.

But other then that the one big problems I was having was because I have an HP. And with that my /dev/hda1 is tied to the system restore partition on my /dev/hda. So when I tried to boot with the intial grub.conf, which had other tied to:

title Restore (I changed it to restore from other)

rootnoverify (hd0,0)

chainloader +1

and then I made a new one to boot into XP

title Windows

rootnoverify (hd0,1)

chainloader +1

I did that thinking and I had read up that (hd0,1) would be the same as /dev/hda2. Correct me if I am wrong on that pleasee. So from there now, I get to the main menu for grub. and I try to boot from my Windows option, and then the screen goes completely black for a second or 2, and then from there it just goes back to the menu that says Push a button or Windows will be booted in 30 seconds. Being that Windows is what it was named, to avoid any confusion there.

So basically I was wondering did I mess something up earlier? Because I believe that I had the code set right to boot from my second partition on hd0/hda.

If you want to see my full grub.conf let me know, and if you know an easier way to see it besides having to go into linux rescue please let me know. Thanks for your time once again, and I eagerly await your answer to my question. Because I have put a lot of time into this so far, and I feel that I am almost done hopefully. So thats exciting in itself.!! Thanks Again!

*** One quick edit, with the current setup I am able to boot in my system restore and FC5, just not Windows. Thanks again!

And already moore questions hehe.

So I just booted into FC5, and when I did, it takes me to what looks like a dos screen that says in all text:

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux)

Kernel 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp on an i686

localhost login:

So I belive my next question is how to I get into the GUI from here. I know that from here I need to login under the root user name. Or so is my guess. But I suppose I am just asking, what should I do from there? Thanks again for your time and help!!!

And yet again it continues!! So I reinstalled FC5 with all most of just the default settings, because I was finally able to get to the grub screen. So I reinstalled this time with out using linux text like I had before, and followed the things I said above, and I still can't boot into windows. But now when I load into FC5 I get the graphical interface, but it hangs when its at the part for probing for new hardware. Sorry I know this is long and a little scrambled. But I just want to keep up[censored] stuff step by step for the most part just to help out. Thanks again for all your help from before.!

[Edited by pjcunnin on 2006-06-01 01:07:27]

Sorry! Now I'm totally lost. This is why I recommend that folks post all their information on their own thread, rather than on multiple threads. You have an HP computer. Can you point me to the original thread that you posted on, or tell me the model HP that you have?

Let's look at things one by one. First the older stuff. I wish that I had an HP to work with!

Quote:
I did that thinking and I had read up that (hd0,1) would be the same as /dev/hda2.

Yes. but depending how the system was set up, the rescue partition may be "hidden" so it can't be touched. So mapping to hda 2 may not be correct.

Quote:
*** One quick edit, with the current setup I am able to boot in my system restore and FC5, just not Windows. Thanks again!

As far as I know, you can't boot to a restore partition. So, you were actually booting to Windows?

Quote:
So I just booted into FC5, and when I did, it takes me to what looks like a dos screen that says in all text:

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux)

Kernel 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp on an i686

Interesting! Do you have a multi-processor system? The smp suffix means multiprocessor, but I know that Fedora Core 5 has one kernel for both on an AMD64 system.

Quote:
So I belive my next question is how to I get into the GUI from here.

Quote:
And yet again it continues!! So I reinstalled FC5 with all most of just the default settings, because I was finally able to get to the grub screen. So I reinstalled this time with out using linux text like I had before, and followed the things I said above, and I still can't boot into windows. But now when I load into FC5 I get the graphical interface, but it hangs when its at the part for probing for new hardware.

There is hardware and settings on HP system that may be at issue. I keep mentioning that HP has a lot of proprietary hardware that may not be compatible with Linux and is made for the Windows version installed on the system. This can be one issue. These systems, unless you bought one preconfigured with Linux (where the hardware is designed to be compatible), can be a pain to configure. Knowing the exact model of HP that you have is important.

The problems with hardware detection may ne solved in the bios. Look in the bios settings and see if PNP OS is set to "yes." The setting can be in a few places (depending on the bios) such as under PNP Configuration. You may need to set this to "no."

So, this install was on a second hard drive, or the same one as Windows?

Sorry, but there are too many threads to follow and I can't keep it all straight.