Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jagan999

Unable to get my network card working on Suse Linux 10.1

Hi,

I am a newbie to Linux trying to move away from WinXP to Suse 10.1. Most of my system is working except for the most important part - my network. I use the ASUS P5PL2 motherboard with an integrated Realtek ethernet controller and this works fine on WinXP. After installing Suse linux 10.1, the system information in YaST indicates AsusTek Ethernet Controller under Network Devices but the system never seems to acknowledge the existence of eth0 interface. ifconfig -a only lists lo and sit0....no eth0. Any command/function I use through YaST or the command line keeps saying 'eth0 - unknown interface or eth0 - no such device'. I am at my wit's end. Please help.

Jagan

It sounds like you never configured the card during the installation. I assume that you are using Broadband and not DSL?

Go into Yast and configure the card. Follow the menu items and pick DHCP at start. Then see if the interface comes up. You may need to reboot for it to work right off.

I am using broadband. I did use YaST and picked DHCP. It never comes up after several boots.

Jagan

OK, so I looked up your board and found that it has a Realtek RTL8111B chipset for the LAN. It looks like from this SuSE support forum article that this chipset is not supported yet. You would have to compile a module from the realtek support site to get it to work. This is not an easy task for a newbie, but if you want to give it a go....

BTW, are you using the 64 bit version of SuSE or the 32 bit version?

[Edited by danleff on 2006-05-31 02:25:09]

Oops...That's bad news. I definitely am intimidated to try out anything manually if it's not natively supported yet. I am using the 32 bit version. Thanks for the quick reply.

Jagan

Try looking up "ndiswrapper" - I spent 8 hours getting my Broadcom wireless card to work, but did it in the end, it's a way of using a windows driver on linux. I've now uninstalled windows smile

Yavista Open Source

help me to configure my wifi conection, I have SUSE 10.1 on my computer, now I can't use my D-Link DWL G-122 USB Wireless Adapter, when I am using windows xp, this working great and I can connect to my wireless LAN easily,please help me and I will uninstall this windows xp when I have my wifi connection back

Realize that these dongles are made to use with Windows, with Windows drivers made for them only. However, you can use the Windows drivers possibly to get it to work in Linux.

Can you look at the device and tell us what revision that you have of the dongle. There are several;

Revision A1

Revision A2

Revision B1

Revision B1

The revision will determine what the chipset is on the dongle and assist in how to get it going.

thanks for ur advice, i have look at the device and its revision is B1,can u help me to get connection back, I really need this

Well, I saw my typo, just to make the corrections for anybody to see. The list of revisions for this card should have been;

Revision A1

Revision A2

Revision B1 this one is yours with the Ralink chipset

Revision D1

In any case, you can get this dongle to work by using ndiswrapper and your native Ralink drivers for Win 2000 on the driver cd. See this thread that I found. You will need to consider how your system connects to the Internet and make the appropriate modifications. For example, does your ISP use a static or dynamic (DHCP) connection.

Also, realize that you need to know your essid name for the router and passphrase (WEP or WPA), if you have these configured in the router.