Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
luburn

mandriva 2006 ex linux user no boot

I'm having singular lack of success with Linux, tried Mandrake 9 and quite liked it apart from a couple of bugs [could have been mine] since them looked at Ubuntu and Knoppix and although quite nice didn't like them enoughand thought I'd have a look at Mandriva, could produce a bootable version from the iso's I downloaded and picked up a version from Linux User& issue 59 of Mandriva 2006, however it stopps on boot with an error message:

----------

Unable to mount loopfilesytem

> Dropping to limited shell

>

> losetup /dev/loop/0 initrd/cdrom/livecd.sqfs

> mount -r -t squash fs /dev/loop/0

> initrd/loopfs

> loading /initrd/bin/ash

---------

this is on an 1.8G PIV 256RAM. Is this likely to be hopeless and should I plug on looking looking for another disk? Also thinking about MEPIS and KANOTIX.

Mandrake 9 is an older version and probably does not fully support your current hardware.

Quote:
could produce a bootable version from the iso's I downloaded and picked up a version from Linux User& issue 59 of Mandriva 2006, however it stopps on boot with an error message:

Did you mean to say that you could not produce a bootable version from the iso's that you downloaded?

If so, how exactly did you burn the iso images and at what speed?

The disk that you have is a live CD version of Mandriva. There could be a number of reasons why it does not boot.

Mandriva recommends 512 mb of memory for this version of the Live CD.

There could be some physical damage to the CD. Are there any physical scratches on the disk? But it looks to me that there is not enough available ram in your system to run it.

Could you post the make and model of PC that this is? Laptop or desktop?