Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tool_462

Overclocking Guide?

Does anyone know of a good (recent) in depth overclocking guide? I have been looking around and most are telling me how to overclock the Celeron 133mhz or Pentium 4 2.0 :P I know the basics but I would like to better understand memory dividers, ratios and some of the more technical aspects of overclocking. Thanks!

Well I am completely comfortable overclocking my 6600 GT OC's in SLi so dont need any info on video cards. But I am overclocking a Pentium D 805 on an ABIT NI8 SLi motherboard with PQI DDR2 PC5400 TURBO memory, dual channel 2x 512. I have done very little memory overclocking and some CPU overclocking. I guess my main concern is messing something up, I have read a few things about the "PCI Lock" and I have no idea what it is or what I have to do to it. I understand the FSB and Multiplier part of overclocking 100%. I just need to find a place to learn about memory ratios (I see people saying things like 1:1, 3:4, 4:3) and dividers (dont fully understand) I once had a great guide bookmarked but have since reformatted and didn't save my bookmarks. It was a fairly recent guide, I think he was OCing a 3200+ and Corsair XMS memory on an ASUS board.

Originally posted by tool_462:

Quote:
I guess my main concern is messing something up, I have read a few things about the "PCI Lock" and I have no idea what it is or what I have to do to it.

PCI lock is a fix for older overclocking problems. When people would raise frontside bus speeds it would raise interface speeds for AGP bus and PCI bus as well. PCI lock prevents this from happening or allows you to overclock the PCI bus independently of the frontside bus.

Your main concern with overclocking should ALWAYS be messing something up. Products are released for the most parts at their particular spec because that is what they have been proven to run. This is why most overclockers take low end stuff and try to crank it up, because if they fry a $100 CPU, oh well. You take a $500 or $600 CPU and start tinkering, your investment to return ratio goes down. Try looking at this....

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/

That article on particular almost made me consider switching to Intel for at least one rig....

It directly shows you how to OC your processor...

Good luck....

Oh..and just because you overclock your processor and something breaks and the computer no longer works....doesn't mean it is the processor that broke...memory and northbridges are sensitive too....

Just as a quick update:

I got my parts and put the PC together and everything works great! I am using an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro and my D 805 is rock solid (Prime95 stable for 48 hours) at 3.8 ghz. I feel I could get a little more out of the processor since it's idling at 28 degrees celcius and never gets over 40 under load. I think I lucked out on a good chip, though my house is usually fairly cool inside. (70-73 degrees F)