Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
freakmoomin

SOUND NOT WORKING (Tried all I know) PLEASE HELP!

Hey need serious help.

my computer crashed a few days ago, and when i turned it back on it kept crashing and wouldnt start up, so i started up in safe mode and found out that my graphics and sound cards wernt working properly and were causing it to crash on start up. So i managed to get my graphics card to work again simply by up[censored] the drivers for it, so i tried the same with my sound card but no joy? i tried up[censored] with the drivers from the cd i got with my sound card, the latest drivers i could find on the web and updated my windows drivers but still no luck. This annoyed me so much i even thought it was just that my sound card had broken, so i bought a new one and installed it but exactly the same thing is happening again? The weird thing is that is says everything is working fine in the device manager??? but when i try to play sound its just not happening and im getting errors. Ive made sure that audio is enabled in my bios ive tried the windows emergancy repair from my windows cd, ive completly ran out of ideas and would be sooooo gratefull if you guys could help me.

I am running windows 2000 pro

ive got directx 9

here are some of my errors

if i try to play audio in media player:

"Cannot play back the audio stream: no audio hardware is available,

or the hardware is not responding. (Error=80040256)".

if i try to play audio in winamp i get the error:

"Bad direct sound driver, please install proper drivers or select another device in configiration. Error Code: 88780078"

when I run dxdiag I get the error:

“Error: problem getting extra sound info, result code = 0x80070057 (invalid argument(s))”

and

“DirectSound test results: Failure at step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT = 0x88780078 (No driver)”

It obviously sounds like a driver issue, but ive installed uninstalled and updated and installed uninstalled and updated until im blue in the face and its just not working. Please help.

Kevin

Could be some sort of resource conflict than a drive problem.

What does it say in the Device Manager? Is there any resource conflicts? What about motherboard drivers, have you updated those? Try removing all sounds drivers and reboot, and let Windows auto detect the card.

Originally posted by freakmoomin:

Quote:
Ive made sure that audio is enabled in my bios

Audio options in bios are, most of the time, for onboard sound and if you are using a separate sound card then you would want those options disabled.

hey thanks guys. i got it fixed with ure input.

it was just the drivers as i/we thought. i must have been just reinstalling the drivers (motherboard/soundcard) over and over again ontop of the old ones, when i actually uninstalled EVERY sound driver and sound device in the device manager then let windows detect it itself it worked fine after windows installed it!!!!

thanks alot guys ;-)