Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
skyspeedr

Problem installing ndiswrapper on Red Hat 9 Kernel 2.4.20-8

I'm trying to install ndiswrapper version 1.14 on Red Hat 9 kernel 2.4.20-8 but I'm getting "unresolved symbol" errors when I issue modprobe ndiswrapper.

I've read several posts about this error and it seems to be related to having a difference in kernel versions. I've tried a couple of suggestions but have not been able to resolve it. Does anyone have a simple solution for this?

Do you have different kernel versions on this installation?

Also, according to the install readme file for version 1.14;

Quote:
Prerequisites

=============

You need a recent kernel, at least 2.6.6 or 2.4.26, with header files

for the kernel. Make sure there is a link to the kernel source from

the modules directory. The command

ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build

should have at least 'include' directory and '.config' file.

OK. So I either have to update my kernel to 2.4.26 or find a verson of ndiswrapper that's compatible with 2.4.20. Which would be easier to do?

This is the catch 22. RedHat 9 is no longer supported. I could not find a pre-compiled kernel update for 9 for the required kernel.

If you have more than one kernel version on the system (ie: you updated the kernel at some time), then make sure that you have the required symlink and either the kernel header files or kernel source installed for your currently run kernel, as per the quote above... ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build.

Also see the ndiswrapper wiki page for more information.

Reverting back to an older version that may work, I would not recommend. There are too many improvements in ndiswrapper to roll back to an older version effectively, especially if you have a newer wireless card.

What make and exact model + revision card do you have?

I'll be gone until May 5, so hopefully others can respond.