Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bigmark100

Fedora installed and running, now what?

Thanks to danleff, i now have fedora running on my pc.

But now what.

QUESTION 1

My ADSL modem (Speedtouch) , and internal modem have not been identified. Where do i get the drivers for these things?

Is there a single good source or do I need to google?

QUESTION 2

My screen reslolution is 600*800, I want to change it to something smaller but i only have 2 options, the smallest being 600*800.

Despite my graphics card and monitor being identified correctly.

QUESTION 3

How do I access my linix drive from Windows.

Thanks in advance

QUESTION 1

How is the ADSL modem connected to the computer, via USB, or are you using a NIC card and cable?

QUESTION 2

Well, we have gotten this far without knowing anything about your computer. What make and model computer are you using?

Do you have any idea what video card is in the system?

What monitor is being used (make and model, if this is not a Dell, Gateway or Compaq system and you posted the make and model already).

Where are you looking at the video resolution settings? There are two places to look and you can install the system-config-display package through the software manager tool, if it is not already installed. This will help, but resolution depends on your video card and monitor. Some are well supported and others are not.

QUESTION 3

You don't. Windows can't read Linux partitions.

QUESTION 1

Modem is via USB.

QUESTION 2

I have a sony Vaio desktop. 3 years old,

not sure of exact spec but will post tomorrow.

Monitor is HP and the correct model was identified by the installation. Will also get graphics card when home tonight.

Im trying to change the resolution , from the graphical interface.

think going to system/screen resolution of something liek that.

hi,

this is the spec of my pc

SONY VAIO PCV-RS222(CE)

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

Monitor HPL1706

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

System Model

System Type X86-based PC

Processor x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~2127 Mhz

Ive managed to get my screen set correctly.

Still no luck with the modem - which i assume is because its on a usb.

QUESTION 4

Can i access my windows xp ntfs drive with fedora?

and if not - how do i go about getting a drive to share data between windows and linux. ?

thanks agian.

Good, your making progress. i was going to have you install the system-config-display utility, which would have worked also.

I have read some previous documents on the Modem, but from what i remember, this will not be easy for a new user. You should have an ethernet card built into the system, which would be the way to go (the easiest). In this configuration, you would connect the box to the modem w/o usb, via a cat5 cable. linux will pick this up automatically. thios way you bypass the usb hassles.

You can read NTFS filesystems from within Fedora, after you install a package which allows reading of NTFS volumes. If you want to give this a try, I will provide some links.

Otherwise, the easiest way to do this is to share Windows files via a FAT32 partition (rather than NTFS), which Fedora can read and write to. If you add a FAT32 partition to one of your drives, than this would be the easiest way to go.

Of course, this means that you would need to resize your Linux partition, or add such a partition, if you have free space on any of your drives.

Is there any free space on your system now, or room that you can safey make for such a partition?

iv'e unfortunately now allocated all of the space on my disks to partitions. an option would be to drop the linux partition, reinstall making it smaller ,and then creating a fat partition.

might make more sense for sharing files between winxp and linux.

im am not sure my modem supports a ethernet cable.

its a model 330. and think it only has usb ports.

or does the cat5 cable work for this?

Red Hat Linux can read from an NTFS partition with the right package and I read somewhere that it can even write to one if you specify the correct settings. I don't have the details on this. You can also read an ext2 or 3 partition from Windows with one of two freeware programs out there at the following sites:

http://www.chrysocome.net/explore2fs

http://www.yipton.demon.co.uk/

The latter may be able to write to them as well from Windows. I am not sure on this yet.

Let's be careful here. explore2fs is read only. From my experience, it is not fully functional.

FSDEXT2 is for Windows 05 only and is read only as well. The author notes;

Quote:
Fsdext2 is a port of the second extended file system (ext2fs) to Windows 95; albeit a read-only version.

Using FSDEXT2 you can transparently mount your Linux ext2fs partitions on Windows 95.

So, you can read the volumes only from Windows 95 only.

In terms of NTFS support for Fedora Core 5, look here.

Please, by all means, read the instructions and release notes. Do not attempt to write from Fedora to your NTFS volumes (partitions). You can copy from NTFS to Fedora's filesystem safely.