Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DStine

SUSE 10.1 Internet Install

I'm fairly new to Linux and have just run basic installs. I am now trying to do the internet install of SUSE 10.1 and cannot figure it out at all!! I read a lot of the other messages, but it still does not seem to make sense. I already have the ISO burned and it boots, i just do not know where to go from there. Can I get a step-by-step rundown of the process?

-_DStine_-

SuSE network installations were always interesting to me. If you don't know what to do after getting the menu screen at boot, I suggest that you wait for the final release to come out and burn a cd set to do your installation. SuSE 10.1 is still in release candidate status, so I would wait for the final release before doing anything,

To use the net installation method, you need to have an ftp mirror IP address to start the installation. This assumes you know how to do this, have a broadband connection, or if DSL, how to configure your DSL conection to achieve a network installation.

Any particular reason why you want to do a network installation, rather than from a cd set?

To give you an idea of what steps are required to do a network installation, see this how-to.

Realize this is for SuSE 9 and that I am using this as an example.

I agree, danleff. I've used SUSE for quite some time and I can tell you that there are a lot of problems with the SUSE 10.1 RC1. Highly experienced users have run into many problems, especially with YAST. RC2 Deltas were released last night and it's only a matter of a week or less before the final release is available. I am anxiously looking forward to trying that, myself, but it's well worth the wait.

Regards,

zenarcher