Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
game

Installation Problem

Hi I am Very New To Linux and

I tried to Install Redhat Enterprises Linux WS Version 4 32-BIT x86 but While Installing,It Wont Detect My Hard Drive.......

I am Using ICH7 Family Storage (SATA) and I downloaded kernel-2.6.9-11.EL.src.rpm Which Is Provided In this Site.. The Thing is I don't know How to Install The Linux With This RPM..

can Any one Give me a hint to Overcome this odd.

Thankx...

Through what medium are you trying to install it? (Are you installing from CD or something else?)

Are you getting any sort of error messages? (If so, what?)

I am Installing from Cd And The error message is "No hard drive found".

And My System Config is.

Intel 945 GNT

1gb Ram

2 SATA Hard drive (160,80) GB

Intel Pentium IV 3.0GHz Processor

I think Linux Enterprises Version 4 WS Supports Only ICH6 Controller.But In my mother Board It is ICH7 controller. Actually I need ICH7 Device Drive Which Is Specified In the RPM Which I Downloaded, but I don't Know How to Re-Compile The Kernel With New RPM.....

Is There Any Way To Get the Device Driver For ICH7 Controller.....

ICH7 Is Just Like IDE For SATA HardDisk....

This Is the Problem I encountered While Installing..........

Your right, these chipsets are not supported in your release. But it is supported in RHEL4 WS U2. You can't install the rpm until you have a working system.

Is it possible to install using the updated version, say like the one located here.

Also see the RedHat advisory here.

Note the section;

Quote:
HP xw4300 workstations equipped with the ICH7 chipset will require initial installation through Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 Update 2 media or the kernel will panic. It is possible to install this system with RHEL4 U0 media, then use the 'up2date' command to update the system to RHEL4 U2. However, this process may result in a kernel panic when booting to the new kernel. RHEL4 U2 updates support the ICH7 chipset and SATA devices and should be used during the primary install to avoid this issue.

thank you danleff. I think this is the better way to solve this Installation problem for the beginers like me....

once again I thank you for the links which is very useful to me for my study ........

Hey danleff I downloaded The Adance Server but while Installing It says That The Packages Are damaged. So can you tell me is there any links available rather than you provided before.....

I am Waiting.....

I should have asked this before. What are you looking to do with RHEL? This is really an advanced distro for folks who have experience with Linux, who, say, want to administer a server. It is available for about $179 USD from RedHat. I have no idea where to get valid copies of this distro off the internet.

But, if you are new Linux user and are looking for a distro to use as a desktop, this is probably not what you want. In this case, Fedora Core 5 would be a better choice for you.

Let us know what you are exactly looking to do with Linux. We can go from there.

Hey Actually I joined The RHCE course and they provided me WS Linux Enterprises Edition. So That I am looking for Enterprises Linux.... danleff You Said That "Fedora Core 5 would be a better choice for you" ok Brother I'll Try. But One Question Will Fedora Core 5 Having the same commands, functions etc... as Linux Enterprises.I mean working areas are same as Linux or Fedora has Little Variation well I am Waiting for your Answers Danleff. Any way You Took Much time of yours in helping me out. Thank you very much...........

If you are taking the course and they provided you with a copy of RHEL, then tell them that you need RHEL 4 U2, due to the exact hardware issue that we are speaking of.

HELLO EVERYONE, I AM HAVING TROUBLE RIPING SOME DVD MOVIES ON TO MY SAMSUNG YH-999 PORTIBLA MEDIA PLAYER? DONT HAVE A CLUE AS TO WHERE TO START.

headlesstinman;

Please start a new thread topic with your question and give as much information as you can, so someone can fully understand what your issue is. Please include what distro (flavor of Linux) and version that you are using and what packages (software)that you are trying.

This question has nothing to do with what is being discussed on this thread. You will get better responses by starting a new thread and posing your question with as much information as possible.