Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rahul gandhi

iscsi on linux machines

I need to specifically install FC3 kernel 2.6.10 . got from http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/ker...x-2.6.10.tar.gz and followed procedure given in http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-kernel-fc3.html

but could not understand :

I have some doubts where I do not know wat I am supposed to do like:

should i do patch or not? I just want to run 2.6.10 kernel image

Copy the previous Fedora .config file from the fedora kernel.src.rpm, this will be your starting point for customizing the kernel and how do i do that? When i look into /usr/src i could not find any config files for kernel to be copied and i m running fedora so what is this?

Didn't follow those steps but somehow when i reboot kernel and type uname -rm it says 2.6.10 i686 so i believe kernel is installed correctly. then when i install iscsi which is told to be compatible with 2.6.10 release of linux in sourceforge.net it gives:

when i try to install iscsi drivers it gives me errors shown below so please help me and i need to finish this project in couple of weeks so please help me as much as possible.

[root@rdma1 linux-iscsi-4.0.2]# make

Note: using kernel source from /lib/modules/2.6.10/build containing

kernel version 2.6.10

Note: using kernel config from /lib/modules/2.6.10/build/.config

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.10'

CC [M] /usr/src/iscsi/linux-iscsi-4.0.2/driver/iscsi-initiator.o

CC [M] /usr/src/iscsi/linux-iscsi-4.0.2/driver/iscsi-attr.o

CC [M] /usr/src/iscsi/linux-iscsi-4.0.2/driver/iscsi-session.o

/usr/src/iscsi/linux-iscsi-4.0.2/driver/iscsi-session.c:481: warning: conflicting types for built-in function 'strdup'

make[2]: *** [/usr/src/iscsi/linux-iscsi-4.0.2/driver/iscsi-session.o] Error 1

make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/src/iscsi/linux-iscsi-4.0.2/driver] Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.10'

make: *** [module] Error 2

Hope this information is sufficient.

Plz help me soon i need to finish this project in a week

Well, i see a bunch of problems.

Quote:
Copy the previous Fedora .config file from the fedora kernel.src.rpm, this will be your starting point for customizing the kernel and how do i do that? When i look into /usr/src i could not find any config files for kernel to be copied and i m running fedora so what is this?

This file is "hidden" by default. If you go to the file manager and use drop down the menu..-->view-->show hidden files and click on the option to show the hideen files, you will see .config.

Quote:
Didn't follow those steps but somehow when i reboot kernel and type uname -rm it says 2.6.10 i686

Well, if you did not follow the steps, what do you expect? The idea is to use the .config file to use the modules that are set up by default in the RHEL kernel already.

Quote:
Note: using kernel source from /lib/modules/2.6.10/build containing

kernel version 2.6.10

So, the build used the default kernel .config file from the vanilla kernel that you downloaded, not the RHEL .config file that should have been placed correctly, per the directions.

Quote:
[root@rdma1 linux-iscsi-4.0.2]# make

Did you really just use the [m]make[/b] command, or follow the instructions on the proper series of commands?

make mrpoper

make oldconfig

make all

make modules_install

make install

Of course, the make oldconfig command takes that .config file that you should have placed in the correct kernel build directiory and copies the same configuration to use in the new kernel build.