Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JayRd7

Fujitsu Faulty Harddrive?

Hello,

I recently gutted my sisters old computer for her recently purchased Fujitsu MPG3409AT 40 GB hard drive. I put it in making sure I had the correct IDE cables, and making sure that the harddrive jumper was set to "Cable Select," as my other one was. (I made the Fujitsu the slave drive.) I booted up and went into BIOS and it read the drive fine, and the computer booted fine and the drive seemed to have configurd itself, because it acts normal and fine just like my C drive does. Last week, though, I booted up and my computer wouldnt get past the Windows XP loading screen with the bar that goes back and forth, it just sat there with the harddrive light on. I booted into Safe Mode and disabled the Fujitsu in Device Manager, because I trouble shooted every thing else and figured this had to be the problem. I was right, because the computer booted fine with it disabled, but goes haywire when i enable it, and freezes up when I enable it in regular mode. I want to know hwy it would work in harmony with my computer fine for 4 months and then all of a sudden start doing this. Corrupt driver perhaps? I ran through a WinXP recovery reinstallation but the drive was still causing problems. What do you recommend, and where can I find a new driver for the harddrive if this is the problem? Thanks, Jared.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension 4500

640 MB RAM

1.8 Ghz P4 Processor

256 MB Nvidia 6200 Gfx Card

Western Digital Caviar WDC 20 GB HardDrive (set as master)

Fujitsu MPG3409AT (set as slave)

I personally would skip the cable select settings and go straight master and slave...see if that works.

Try to do what mjwebb007 said.

Also, try running chkdsk /r for that drive in recovery console, in case there are bad sectors or other errors in that drive. If you can access it in there...

I'm just curious as to why it would work fine for a few months then all of a sudden screw up...will switching the jumpers to basic master/slave erase the data on the disks? thanks, Jared JayRd7