Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Velintien

Getting a Laptop but don't know what card to choose.

Well I'm going to tech school in a few months and I need to get a laptop. I am going for Computer Programming and really want linux fedora core 4 on my it. Here are my choices thhat I can customize from:

Intel® PRO 2200 and Dell 350 Bluetooth Internal Wireless Cards

Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)

Intel® PRO 2915 and Dell 350 Bluetooth Internal Wireless Cards

Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915 Internal Wireless (802.11 a/b/g, 54Mbps)

Isn't it great?! I got 4 choices!! XD : intel, intel, intel, or intel, ain't it great?! *rolls eyes*

will ANY of these work on Linux?

Very good question. I never tried any of these cards.

Well, it might be challenging. See the Intel site here.

Also look here.

If the laptop specs are mandated by the Tech. school, have you tried calling them and asking them? Someone may already know the answer, or may give you specific recommendations, based on there experience.

Are they going to be using FC4? If not, and this is your wish to install linux on your own, any reason FC4 and not 5, which nmy support the laptops hardware better? I would also check out the laptops compatability with FC4 or 5.

Actually I just heard that fedora core 5 was out a few hours before I seen this and was planning on downloading the DVD image when I get home.

The school I am going to do not require laptops but I am getting one anyway as it will make things easier and they do have wireless. Also they use Windows So I will be partitioning my drive as I am starting to lean toward Linux more. I asked a dell online dude and he said quote: "We don't support Linux" *rolls eyes* they want people to buy there damned product they will only help with windows...everything here is windows and all its good for is a freeze up and viruses yet everyone makes software and games for it... (If it were not for wine I would probably of released the apocalypse) well I’m done ranting. I'll try looking at that stuff when I get some free time (most likely next hour; bell going to ring soon) Thanks a bunch for the reply. smile

I don't know about the other cards, but I can tell you that the

Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)

is supported by fedora core 4 and 5.

It's really simple to install and get running -- the device was recognized by Fedora and all I needed to do was place firmware files in the right directory.