Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jmark83

customizing linunx kernel 2.6

greetings

im still a beginer in linux and i want to learn. I want to customize my linux kernel for example i want to take out the network driver o any other driver to make the kernel size smaller. this is because im doing a embedded linux project and my embedded os Blue cAt 5.0 is using kernel 2.6 ..

can any body guide me

thanks in advance

regards

jmark

thanks..

i read it ...

sorry for asking basic questions

If i want to use "make xconfig"

how do i use it

when i type this command a error comes out

make: ***no rule to make target 'xconfig' stop

what am i doing wrong

thanks in advance

regards

Two things. All commands to recompile the kernel need to be done as root user.

Secondly, under the directions for xconfig. it states;

Quote:
Before using make xconfig, make sure that the Qt library is installed on the host.

For a Linux host, the qt-devel-3.1.1-6 and qt-3.1.1-6 packages must be installed.

So, these packages must be installed or already present on your system for xconfig to work.

Hi Dan,

So now I have a question. Okay, I know I have not been around for a while, I was in France end of last year to Jan and have been up to my arse in gators since then.

Question is: Has anyone successfully implement Bind 9.3.2 using SQL server backend (specifically with postgres)? I can start manually with "/usr/sbin/named -f" and all is well. As root of course, however /etc/rc.d/init.d/named start" seems to cause problems ... Anyone know something I am missing?

BTW, the /var/log/messages reports that no connection is available using /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432

Yes, I have checked connectivity, I can connect ...

I must be missing something. Do you or anyone else have ideas?

BTW, Dan,

I really do not much like FC5. I built another AMD x86_64 with 2 GB Ram, Raptor drive (10K), broadcomm fibre ethernet, etc, etc..

I selected, in the installation dialogue, "everything", no firewall (already have one), no selinux protection, etc ...

The desktop is sort of "OKAY" but the access to services is totally lacking ... I always select "all" (or try and in this case used server model).

I ususally to not vent so much, but I really do not like FC5 for development ... just too much attempt to do a gui for the public ...

Okay, for all those that read this. I am a developer and write code for inclusion in the kernel, device drivers (.so or .ko) and want a machine that does what I say it should do, not what the installers think I "want to do". This is become difficult with FC5.

UGH!

Quote:
Question is: Has anyone successfully implement Bind 9.3.2 using SQL server backend (specifically with postgres)? I can start manually with "/usr/sbin/named -f" and all is well. As root of course, however /etc/rc.d/init.d/named start" seems to cause problems ... Anyone know something I am missing?

I have to admit that I have no experience with this, but let's see if you get a response from anyone. Veteran contributors have been a little scarce lately. Don't know why. DapperDan has not been around for a while, I hope all is well with him.

I agree with your thoughts on FC5. Most distors now are geared toward average computer users, who do not want to mess with code and the terminal window. Understandable.

This is why I have followed Linspire for some time, on and off. They have their mainstream version, geared toward users who do not want to mess with, or who do not know how to tweak their systems. They get confused with why things don't work "out of the box" all the time.

Linspire also has a "developers version" with all the development tools installed by default.

The problem I found with Linspire, is that it always took over with it's own customized lilo to the MBR. I have not tried the new versions lately, for this reason. They moved to grub, so maybe they changed this and added an option not to install a bootloader by default.

I must say that I moved my wife's Windows system to Linspire, after she inherited some nasty viruses from a newsgroup for needlework enthusiasts, of all places!

She complains about slow bootup times, but her system has been rock solid stable!