Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Campie

No sound running Linux on a Fujitsu Lifebook C353

I have been successful running Mandrake 10.1, RedHat 9.0 and Lycoris DesktopLX. But I can not get sound so work, can anyone help?

Thanks

Campie

Wow, is the Fujitsu site hard to get information on, or what?

Anyway, one thing I need to ask, is did you set the sound card up when you installed Mandrake (during the installation)?

One simple possible problem. Check to see that the sound is not muted and that the volume is set all the way up in your mixer window.

I'm going to guess that RedHat 9 is using the OSS sound system, while Mandrake is using Alsa. So, you may have different sound system software for tose two distros, which means potentually two different solutions.

Try running alsamixer in a root console while in Mandrake. Make sure that the sound is not muted and the sound is all the way up on all channels. Often the sound is muted, or the volume turned down by default.

You apparently have an old Soundblaster Pro card in this system. Can you confirm this by consulting the owners manual?

If the above does not work, we can try a few things. But also let us know what GUI that you are using, Gnome, or KDE?