Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SuperChicken

Running Windows Terminal Services 2000....

Hi all, long time since I've been on here...

I've got a client who needs to share QuickBooks 2006 over a broadband VPN connection.

The best solution I've come up with is Terminal Server (as there are 3 concurrent users).

I've looked at SBS2003 eval, and it will not allow the server to be an Application server. So nuts to that.

I'm now playing with a 2000 Server installation, and I have Terminal Services running in the 90-day grace period.

My question is, can I run Terminal Services and TS Licensing on the same machine? They have 1 dedicated machine to host the datafile right now, it has enough power to upgrade to 2000 or 2003 server, but I don't want to have to purchase any additional hardware.

She's going to have a heart attack when she sees how much 2003server standard costs....

Oh, to give you a rough idea of the existing setup.

Linksys WRV54G router hosting VPN software clients.

HP Slim p4 PC (consumer grade) currently running XP Home.

Quickbooks 2006 Premiere installed.

SMB share hosting the datafile.

VPN users connect and then open the datafile in multi-user mode and work with it via SMB. Obviously now that the file is growing, speed is a HUGE issue, as the host pc only has an ADSL connection.

If anyone knows of any OTHER solution than Terminal Server, I'd greatly appreciate it. I need the ability for 3 concurrent sessions....

Thanks,

Ian Wills