Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
felix

possibility of creating virtual directories (not IIS related)

I am having a space crisis.

My games are installed in c:\games however my C:\ drive is filling up too fast. Thus I created a directory c:\games2 and also a d:\games2 (d:\drive has loads of space).

Now in a similar way to the "my documents" folder on the desktop which can be linked to any folder on any drive, can I create a virtual link so c:\games2 actually points to d:\games2.

I do know how to mount an existing folder as another drive through disk management and I also know how to set up virtual drives through IIS however my problem doesn't fall under either of those categories (just added that so hopefully people don't waste their time answering those). I've also done a google search and had 12+ pages of IIS or shortcut related articles.

I figure it has to be do-able as MS does it with the my docs.

As for why I want to, I'm a bit anal and want my games to all be on the c:\drive etc etc

Ta, F.

Received a possible answer on another forum:

download the program "junction".

It creates a symbolic link, same as linux, which behaves better than a windows shortcut.

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Junction.html

Quote:
Win2K's version of NTFS supports directory symbolic links, where a directory serves as a symbolic link to another directory on the computer.

For example, if the directory D:\SYMLINK specified C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32 as its target, then an application accessing D:\SYMLINK\DRIVERS would in reality be accessing C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS.

Directory symbolic links are known as NTFS junctions in Win2K. Unfortunately, Win2K comes with no tools for creating junctions - you have to purchase the Win2K Resource Kit, which comes the linkd program for creating junctions. I therefore decided to write my own junction-creating tool: Junction. Junction not only allows you to create NTFS junctions, it allows you to see if files or directories are actually reparse points. Reparse points are the mechanism on which NTFS junctions are based, and they are used by Win2K's Remote Storage Service (RSS), as well as volume mount points.

Note that Windows does not support junctions to directories on remote shares.