Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
aramsv

bypass the password on Linux CentOS

Does anyone know if there is any boot cd/disk which will let me to bypass the password and login into Linux Centos.

There are no passwords available and I need somewhow to get into the system.

I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

Well, I've never worked with CentOS in particular, but many linux distributions set up a second boot option labelled recovery that logs you in single user mode as root. If you see something like this when booting up try booting into it, then typing the following

passwd <yourusername> (example: passwd bob)

It will prompt for the new password, then do it again.

After this reboot the system in normal mode.

Here is a mini How To with screenshots about how to recover your password (root) under Fedora (works with CentOS)

digg.com/linux_unix/Root_Password_Recovery_Fedora_CentOS

This is an old post (3/06), so the person is no longer likely around.

Also, the ERD disk is no longer easily available, as Microsoft aquired Winternals, the developer of this utility. All links default to Microsoft's web page.

try this is secret

Well, there is yet another way in which we can get root. In the first method, we typed ‘linuxconf’ in the bash shell prompt, however, we could type the following to create a new account with root privileges and without any password:

echo “ankit::0:0:::” >> /etc/passwd

This command will basically edit the /etc/passwd file which is the password file which stores the Passwords and Usernames of all accounts on the machine. One thing to remember here is that you can edit the /etc/passwd file only if you are logged in as root, however, in this case we are not logged in as root, but we have booted into linux single which gives us the root shell. Hence, we can still edit it.

Anyway, to understand how exactly the above command works and how it is able to create a new account without a password, we need to learn the /etc/passwd file is structured.