Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Christianb

Looking for KVM Recommendations

Hi Gang,

I'm looking for KVM recommendations. I have some pretty steep requirements being as I'm a computer repairman and I also want my home system connected to this KVM for normal use.

I want a KVM that'll do VGA DB15, PS/2 keyb/mouse to workstations, USB keyb/mouse to workstations, RCA (that's the normal walkman type headphones connector) audio in/out (microphone/speakers) and preferably a USB hub, so I can share printers and scanners with all attached systems.

All I've found that even comes close is offerings from Raritan, Belkin, and Avocent. Those may be the only decent options on the market. However, I'm interested in any other brands that might be work considering. I tried LinkSys and Tripplite and neither had anything close to what I need/want.

From what I understand Raritan is the industry leader in the sector right?

Thanks,

Christian Blackburn

Hey I remember them Felix, when I used to work for an ISP we had a bunch of the remote/lom power strips connected to remote sites so that we could remotely power cycle any modem racks giving us issues.

They worked just great, so I too will recommend them if their KVM boxes work any where near as good as the power strips.

Hi Felix and Jim,

Thank you both for your suggestions. Those BlackBox devices are extremely powerful and extremely pricey. They cost about twice what everything else out there does. Now that being said it's certainly the only one that enables remote desktop access right through the KVM, however in order to do that you have to buy even more parts. I'm still thinking the Raritan is the best option.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Christian Blackburn

Never really looked any further.

They do have smaller single site units and if you ask them they can add other stuff to their basic ones.

If you're looking for gear for just one site, why not get three separate units: a KVM switch, an audio switch and a USB sharing dowhatzit. Might be cheaper than trying to combine the lot, though BlackBox do appear to make such a combined beast.

Hi Felix,

While I'm sure they have nice stuff, I definetly won't be going with anything from Blackbox. I don't need a rackmount capable device and I'm certainly not going to pay for a wholely unecesssary luxury.

Cheers,

Christian Blackburn

Just remember that you get what you pay for, it's possible that something else will work just fine and perhaps the separate devices maybe the answer too wink

Hi Gang,

I have decided to remove PS/2 from my requirement list. If a system needs that I'll use an adapter or plug-in directly. This IOGear KVM looks terrific. I'd much rather have integrated ethernet than PS/2 support.

Cheers,

Christian Blackburn