Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
josephchintu76

linux driver for wpn111 usb wireless adapter

im new to linux and loaded the linux 10 on my system lately.but im unable to get connected to internet,as im using netgear wpn111 usb adapter to connect to internet .linux do show wpn111 on the ubs port lists but its not getting activated .please anyone could help to find the driver for this model.i did install nsdiswrapper on my system but dont know how it work or to go about with it please help

First, we need to know what exact distro and version of Linux that you installed. Mandriva, SuSE, Slackware...?

Also, what exact version, 10, 10.1....?

If you use ndiswrapper as your driver support package, then you use your Windows XP drivers that come on your netgear driver disk to set up the recognition of the device.

What ndiswrapper package did you install? The one that came with your distro, or otherwise?

But first, let's see what distro of Linux that you are using.

ty for reply

it was suse linux 10.0 32 bit version .i installed the nsdiswrapper which came along with the cd package.the problem is to open the .exe file with nsdiswrapper .how to actually open the file with nsdiswrapper?just click on the exe program? or any commands ?

hope to reply

OK, good...we know more now.

First of all, welcome to the Linux world. Try to bear with me, as this question has been asked and answered several times before, related to wireless on SuSE, on these forums. See here for an example.

Realize that you are not using Windows, so the common method of installing programs and drivers is a little different in the Linux world. Disregard what you know about Windows right now, but that experience will come in handy later on.

Ready?

What I have read about your USB adapter is that on the Netgear cd, there should be a directory with Windows XP drivers inside it. The files that you will need are something like;

netwpn11.inf + wpn111.sys + ar5523.bin

If you find these, copy them from the cd to your home directory.

Let me preface what is next with some comments. I have found that the version of ndiswrapper that comes with SuSE may not work correctly, but let's see.

Before you begin, do you know what the settings are for your router? For example, do you know;

1. what is your essid for the router?

2. Are you using WEP or WPA encription? Do you have the WEP or WPA password, so that you are allowed to negotiate with your wireless router?

Many folks get confused by this, as they don't realize that they need these settings to set up any new OS to use there adapter.

3. Are you using broadband (always connected) or DSL for your internet connection?

Many folks also miss the network setup during the installation of SuSE. Did you set up, or try to set up your internet connection during the installation of SuSE? If so, did you try wireless or directly connecting to the router via a network card on your computer?

Knowing the answers to these questions will assist us in moving on.

O.K. So I'm also a noobie to linux. Probably, even more so than Joe... So I copied the files from the disk. By the way I am using

backtrack-v.1.0. What I need is a step by step instruction on how to command line my WPN111 wireless card into my Dell Inspiron. I am also using WPA. My Essid is "Holy Black Out."

Your best bet is to visit this distro's website and look at the how-to section, located here.

There are some native tools for USB wireless support in this distro, so I suggest you ask the folks on the forum, to get a quick and accurate answer to your questions.

I have the same problem. I,m using puppy linux 5.11. The only problem is i don't have the driver cd.

Can you tell folks what you have tried so far? Have you tried using the network manager on it's own to configure the device?