Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
romanticnick4eva

Compaq presario 700 Series Problem please Help

Hi i have a compaq presario 700 the problem with it is everytime i go to install xp,or 2000 on it it always has errors like for example after u format it , it goes to copying istallation files and it will stop at some like this " Setup Cannot Copy File: Modem.sys " .to retry, press enter " and when u press enter same thin i tried changeing disks same thing the dvd drive gets so hott i think it may be gettin overheating but it installs 98 fine when this model is design for xp i dont understand. I tried "Home Edition" and "Professinal Edition" Same thing. The xp i could get on there is off the quick restore cds compaq Provides but when it gets done it seems like it works but u get copy error's like when u install office 2003 it says .inf error stuff like that please help me i would really apperciate . Heres the SPecs of the system :

1ghz AMD Duron Processer

40 gig hard drive

4x dvd drive i believe the one the came with it

VIA ProSavage KN133 - AGP 4x SDRAM - 16 MB Max Resolution (external) 1600 x 1200

please help me thanks

meandhope.jpg

my presario 700 has problems installing xp i think it may be a memory problem well here is the log :

Error:

SXS.DLL:syntax error in manifest or policy file "D:\I386\asms\6000\MSFT\VCRTL\VCRTLMAN" on line 16

===

Error:

Installation Failed D:\I386\Asms Error Message: A Componet's File does not match the verification information presentsin the Componet manifest

====

Fatal Error:

One of the componets that windows need to continue setup could not be

installed.

====

Error:

SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file "D:\I386\asms\6000\MSFT\VCRTL\VCRTLMAN\" on line 11

==

FATAL ERROR:

One of the componets that windows needs to continue setup could not be installed

A componets file does not match the verification information present in the componets manifest.

====

Hi Nick,

I would try a few things at this point, since you've dealt with the RAM problem:

1. Clean the restore CD

2. Clean your drive with a CD lens cleaner (it's a special Cd with brushes and can be purchased almost anywhere).

3. Order a new copy of the restore CDs from Compaq

4. If you are a college student I wouldn't bother with a new set of the restore Cds just get a free copy from Microsoft. Ask your school's IT department or Computer teachers about MSDNAA.

5. Replace the drive, you can just borrow someone else's long enough to see if that's the problem.

6. You mentioned heat, that's a really common problem with laptops, make sure your fans are clean, get a can of air and blast them. Make sure all your fans are spinning. If the laptop is too hot to leave on your lap then you ought to buy a cooling pad. They have them at NewEgg.com or Fry's or many other places I'm sure. Just taking a stick or book and propping up the rear end of your laptop will help keep it cool, although it will be harder to type on, I'm sure.

Good Luck,

Christian Blackburn

diffrent problem anyone got any ideas 98 will install fine did memtest said it failed so i bought new mem now the same thing please help i think it may be the processer

496 is a bit small for XP, if you can add more I would bump it up to 1 gig.

I've read about 10 sites now with the same problem you are having and they all say it has to do with a bad disk, wether it be a copy or the original that has somehow become scratched.

They all suggest contacting microsoft for a new disk.

Sorry I didn't have better news for you.

Good Luck

496mb should be enough to run xp.

I never had any problems running on 256mb.

alot of ppl is saying it gettin over heated i also tried installing linux fedora 4 wont install so i tried changeing hard drives same problem then i changed dvd drives same problem occured . im about to give up my friend mike said it could be the on board video cause i guess he tried installing linux with commands to bypass any errors and the screen messed up like everything was all messed so im about to give up .Here's the list of all the stuff i have done

1. i changed the ram from 128mb to 256mb same problem occured in memtest 86+

2. THEN TRIED REPLACING HARD DRIVES FROM MY 40GB TO A 1OGB SAME PROBLEM OCCURED

3. TRIED CHANGEING DVD DRIVES

4. THE SYSTEM RUNS VERY HOTT

cAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP IM ABOUT TO GIVE UP

5. I TOOK THE DVD DRIVE OUT AND SPRAYD AIR IN THERE AND BLOW IT IN THE FAN ALSO *NOTE THE FAN RUNS QUITE AND WORKS WELL BUT SO HOTT!

ALSO 1.I TIRED INSTALLING XP HOME EDITION SAME PROBLEM

2. TRIED INSTALLING 2000 PRO SAME PROBLEM

3. lINUX FEDORE 4 WONT EVEN INSTALL

4. 98 WILL INSTALL BUT HAS ALOT OF SCAN DISKS CHECKS

5. USED THE COMPAQ RESTORE DISKS AND GOT WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION ON THERE FROM THE RESTORE EVERYTIME IT STARTED UP ALWAYS DID CHKDSK 1 OF 3 GOT TO 2 ANDSAID " A SERIOUS ERROR OCCURED " AND RESTARTED GOT INTO WINDOWS AND WINDOWS HAD A ERROR REPORT SAYING WINDOWS HAS RECOVERED A SERIRIOUS ERROR !!

iF U CAN HELP PLEASE POST OR SEND ME EMAIL AT NIKESCOMPUTERS@HOTMAIL.COM

P.S THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP HOPE WE GET THIS PROBLEM SOVELED

If you have changed out memory, DVD and hard drives, it would have to be the onboard video, the mainboard or the CPU. And again it could be you have bad media though I doubt that since it seems to be the same across multiple OSes (unless all your copies are burned copies which means two things - one you need to try legal copies i.e. buy one and two, maybe the DVD drives you have tried don't like the media you are using). Will Compaq not help you out any? I know waiting on the phone/emailing back and forth is a pain, but if you give up, what are you going to do - throw away your system? And how exactly are you coming up with 496MB of RAM? Is the onboard video memory fixed at 16MB and you have 512MB total? Do you know if there is a way (in the BIOS) to change the amount of shared memory?

Tried this yet?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/famiD...cname=c00034787

Also..blowing out the DVD drive is not enough...you need to actually get a Lens Cleaner disc....

i think it may be the bios update can someone explain how to roll back a bios update ????? i have contacted hp they told me to call a service center like best buy etc. i did they said they cant fix it cuase its old and its not from them . So i narrow some choices this like mj said it could be the processer or the mobo or a bios update thanks