Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Justbill

FC5 Up and Running

I just got FC5 installed and so far it looks really good! I have to say, I believe the package manager is a big improvement! Have'nt had much time to go exploring in it yet, but so far, I'm impressed!

Justbill

Win XP & Fedora Core 5

Compaq Presario SR1426Nx

2.93Ghz Pentium 4

1.5GB PC2-3200 DDR2 SDRAM

160GB Serial ATA hard drive

Good to see that you got it going! I just downloaded it using Bittorrent. Took about 10 hours for the DVD!

No problem with dual booting XP?

No problem whatsoever! Kind of need to pay attention though, things look a little different durring the install, than they did in FC 3 & 4.

I did have a crash the first time I tried to install, I tried to install extra packages from the disc, and crashed on disc 5. I installed again, and this time installed the "default" installation, and added the packages afterwards using the package manager, and everything went fine.

I'll Be truthful, I haven't had much of an oppurtunity to look around in this os yet, but what I've seen so far its really nice! I was beginning to get a litte tired of Fedora 4, all the rpm dependancy problems I would run into, trying to install stuff. On my other computer I installed Ubuntu 5.10 "Breezy", and truthfully have been very excited about that distro, and preffered using that machine (old HP Pavilion 6630, 500mhz Celeron, 256mb ram), and had considered moving away from Fedora all together, and put Ubuntu on the main machine (Compaq Presario SR1426NX, 2.93ghz Pentium 4, 1.5gb ddr2 sdram), but the kids talked me into giving FC5 a whirl, and I'm glad they did! FC5, I am getting excited about, lots of nice stuff, and seems to run faster on this machine than FC4 did

Justbill

I just ordered a 64bit motherboard. Let's see how FC5 does on this.

As you probably have seen from the number of posts on dual booting and FC4, FC4 has been giving folks fits with dual booting. I should have the board in Friday next and be able to test it over the weekend.

I saw that! I didn't have any problems dual booting FC4 when I had it on this box (Win XP & FC4 previously), but, I didn't have any answers to anyones problems either! It just worked (FC4)for me. Looks like there are a lot of improvements in FC5. Tonight I have to try to get Flashplayer, and Java working on this thing, so, I'll post back later, and tell how that went.

Justbill

Well, so far,so good! Got Flashplayer & Java going, so far the only thing that is being a problem is the sound. Durring the installation, FC5 detected and test played my "Soundblaster", with no problem, now, no sound! I have brought all the levels up in alsamixer, but still no sound. FC5 also has something else in there I don't quite understand, its called mixer00 (OSS mixer)

Oh well, its just been released, there are bound to be a few problems

Justbill

Well, I pulled out the soundblaster, and went back to the "onboard audio" on this box, and now I have sound. I guess the problem is solved, would have been nice to be able to use the soundblaster. I guess Creative Labs are not real supportive of linux?

Justbill

if anyone can help please help. I have windows x64 and linux fedora core 5 x64 . i have problems booting to windows . Thanks for taking your time to read this.

Can you be a little more specific? Asking the question the way you did is like saying "my car won't start, can you tell me what's wrong?"

If possible start a new topic and post the following, since this thread is not specific for your problem;

1. Did you install Fedora after Windows?

2. Is Fedora installed on the same hard drive as Windows?

3. What exacrly happens when you try to boot into Windows?

4. When you installed Fedora, what disk space did you tell Fedora to take? In other words, did you tell Fedora to take space away from the Windows partition, use already empty space on the hard drive, or have a partition already set up for Linux?

5. Where did you tell Fedora to install the Grub bootloader?

6. The exact make and model of your computer. Yes, this can make a difference.

Answering these questions will help to troubleshoot your particular problem.