Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
badsha316

Dual booting win xp 32 bit & fedora core 5 X86-64

Hello everybody,

I plan to dual boot my computer (running win xp 32 bit) with fedora core 5. I have an AMD Athlon64 3000+ and a 120 gb hdd with two partitions (NTFS) & win xp is on C:

My question is can i install fedora x86-64 or any other 64 bit distro ( by resizing my C: drive) while my other os is 32 bit is it possible? will there be any problems in accessing the files in the windows from linux?

I know this might be a silly question but I am absolutely new linux so please help.

Thank You.

Good questions. I'll let you know about XP and Fedora. i just downloaded the Fedora Core 5 DVD image. I also (finally) ordered a 64 bit motherboard.

Quote:
I know this might be a silly question but I am absolutely new linux so please help.

My two cents? Fedora Core 5 is too new for me to comment from experience, but Fedora Core 4 usually gives new users some fits. if you looked at the posts on dual booting issues,you will see what I mean. Personally, I would try Mandriva or SuSE, both which seem to have less problems with dual booting issues. Hopefully, Core 5 has become a little more user friendly for new users of Linux.

Quote:
My question is can i install fedora x86-64 or any other 64 bit distro ( by resizing my C: drive) while my other os is 32 bit is it possible? will there be any problems in accessing the files in the windows from linux?

Too new to tell about Fedora Core 5. I took a quick look at the release notes and such and it did not give much of a clue about mixing 32 bit OS with 64 Fedora.

I also did not find any information on NTFS support.

For NTFS support, there are RPM packages available that you can install for NTFS read support. See the NTFS Linux Project.

If you do go ahead with this, make sure that you pick the 64 bit version of the rpm package, under the Contrib. section (x86_64).

You can view and read your XP files in this case, but not write to NTFS volumes.

What method of resizing your NTFS partitions are you going to use, something like PartitionMagic, or the onboard utility in XP?

Thank you Danleff for replying to my query and i am sorry that i could not reply back sooner. My university exams started on 22nd march, it got over yesterday and finally I had time to install fedora.

I installed the 32 bit version of Fc5 as some of my friends were having problems with the 64 bit version. The installation went smoothly (i used the onboard utility in xp to resize my C: partition).

Fedora is running perfectly but i have a few problems:

1. Fedora core 5 comes with the rp-pppoe package so how do i configure this package with my username, password dns etc so that I can surf the web from fc5? ( I have an adsl connection provided by BSNL in kolkata with a huawei smartAX MT882 modem connected to my lan port that is detected as eth0 by fc5. If I use the inbuilt dialer of the modem to access the net firefox can access only sites ending with a .com eg www.yahoo.com but firefox cant access any site whose address ends with .org, .net etc what could be wrong? ;( I must add that the modem is working perfectly in windows) Please dont ask me to call the service provider coz they have no idea about linux systems!

2. I cant use the add/remove software to add or remove programs from the system. ;( whenever I click on the add/remove link it asks for my root password and after providing it the application quits with an error message "could not browse files" is an internet connection required before opening the add/remove software?

I dont know whether I should have posted this here or startd a new thread so i posted it here.

Please Help! frown

Just one correction to my second question ...

I cant use the add/remove software to add or remove programs from the system. whenever I click on the add/remove link it asks for my root password and after providing it the application quits with an error message "Unable to retrieve software information" is an internet connection required before opening the add/remove software?

Thank You.

The internet issue seems to be a firewall problem. Are you running this system at home, or from the school dorm?

Do you remember what settings you chose when setting up the level of security during the installation?

And yes, by default, the software installer wants an internet connection. I don't know why, but I ran into this as well and have not had time to look at this...it is tax time, so forgive any delay in responding this weekend.

Thank you for your prompt reply laugh . I access the net from my own home and I chose the default settings for the firewall and selinux during the installation. I think I have a router cum modem does that make any difference in the settings I should have chosen? ( All the settings were given by my service provider)

If I dont want to use my router dialer, how do I configure rp-pppoe to access the net? (I downloaded the rp-pppoe 3.8 from www.roaringpenguin.com and uncompressed it, installed it with the ./go command everything worked fine I gave it all the information it needed in the end I got a message saying that it was succesfully setup and I should type pppoe-start to start the connection but when I gave that command I got an error message that the command was not found what could be wrong?

Hopefully there will be a workraound for the installer problem thanks for letting me know about it, that answers one of my queries.

Thanks

Actually, you don't need rr-pppoe. You can configure a DSL connection by going to System-->Administration-->Network.

Then click on the "New" button. At this point you can use the xDSL choice and follow the prompts to enter your settings and user name and passowrd for the DSL account.

However, to answer your question, I think that pppoe is run as root user. This means that you need to get to a root console. Chose Applications from the drop down menu-->Accessories. When the termnal window comes up, type in su. Then it will prompt you for your user password. Once you are at the root console (it just returns a prompt), then type in pppoe-start

Thank you so much for helping me out i am writing this from my new fedora system smile Thank You once again ur great. smile

Nice work!!! Glad you got it going. I think that you will enjoy FC5. It's fast becoming my main distro.