Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
standalonez

Having to Update Ethernet Adapter driver every time I restart my computer

Hey, I'm not really that great with computers so please be patient with me. A month ago I installed a new hard drive along with a ATI Radeon 9250 video card. Now, every time i restart my computer I can't get an internet connection until i go to device manager and update the driver for my ethernet adapter. I have uninstalled the adapter and reinstalled it and it still has the same issue. I have a Linksys LNE100TX v4 ethernet adapter. I don't know what other information I can give you...I have Windows XP with service pack 2 and I'm having no problems with my new hard drive or my video card. If any body can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Okay, Windoze can do weird things when you let it install your hardware.

So, uninstall your nic card through the device manager, reboot, when Windoze says it wants to install your nic, click "cancel", then install yourself. Reboot, and see if that fixes the problem.

Also, did you uninstall the drivers for your old vidcard before installing the new one? Another thing, was it an nVidia card? Old drivers can be causing a conflict with your nic.

Always run Driver Cleaner Pro: http://majorgeeks.com/Driver_Cleaner_Professional_d3214.html in safe mode, after uninstalling drivers, then reboot, and install your new drivers yourself, don't let Windoze install them.

Let us know how that works out for you. smile

Make sure you are installing the V4 drivers for your Linksys card. Using the wrong version number will allow limited functionality, but can cause unpredictable problems. Also, when you do what Relic said make sure you go to the linksys website and get the most recent LINKSYS driver. If you are relying on Windows Update for the updated driver, don't. They are especially troublesome when it comes to NVIDIA video drivers.