Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
voyageur

how to install fedora core 4 alongwith mandrake 10 and winxp

Hi, I am new to linux. And I need some help.I want to install two flavors of linux on my single hard drive.

I have one sata hard drive of 80 gb.

I had winxp already running. Then I installed Mandrake 10 (with Grub)on a 8 gb partition.It is working fine.

Now I want to install fedora core 4 on another partition on the same hard drive. I have 8 gb of unpartitioned free space kept reserve for this.

But The problem is that when I do install fedora, the new boot loader does not detect my previous linux installation (that is mandrake). And I don't know how to add it manually to the new grub menu .

Can anyone please guide me through this? And please be a little delibrate as I using linux for the first time. Thank you.

Quote:
I had winxp already running. Then I installed Mandrake 10 (with Grub)on a 8 gb partition.It is working fine.

Now I want to install fedora core 4 on another partition on the same hard drive. I have 8 gb of unpartitioned free space kept reserve for this.

But The problem is that when I do install fedora, the new boot loader does not detect my previous linux installation (that is mandrake). And I don't know how to add it manually to the new grub menu .

So, did you actually do the Fedora Core 4 installation, or did you abort the installation?

Hi,

Well! I did complete the fedora installation. It is only after that I realised the problem that the new grub is not detecting the previous linux installation( i.e. mandrake).

But since, madrake was my first choice. So, I re-installed the Mandrake 10.1 all over again and deleted the partition on which I had installed fedora core 4.

Now, the present situation is as follows:-

I have winxp running on sda 1. I have mandrake running on sda 8. Both are working fine together (with grub).

I have 8 gb of unpartitioned space kept reserved for fedora which I want to try installing again.

That is where I am seeking guidance. Because I don't want to repeat the same thing again. Lol!!

Thanks for your reply.

I see some issues here with the multiple installations that you have tried. Can you post the output of the following command, as root user in Mandriva;

fdisk -l

That is the small letter "L" after fdisk.

If you just installed Mandriva again on the original partition, it should have picked up the Fedora installation, if you had left it intact, which you did not. The last installation using the Grub bootloader usually picks up the previous installations.

When you originally installed Fedora, did you allow the Fedora partitioning utility to automatically create the partition scheme on the free space?

Since you have a functional system now, let's see what you have, in terms of partitions. The partition idenifiers seem off. I think I may know why.