Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mkohutek

Problems converting from XP to SUSE - internet/networking problems

I have recently installed SUSE Linux onto my computer and have been having problems connecting to my home network and getting online. I am running a dual boot on this computer with Windows XP and SUSE Linux 10.0. The Windows XP can access my internet and can connect to the network easily with no troubles, but if I boot up Linux, then it doesn’t recognize the internet and the network at all. I have a Linksys WRT54G router which this computer connects to get on the network and to get online. BTW: the computer is hardwired in, although I will soon be up[censored] a laptop with Linux and so I will go through this again except with a wireless network and internet connection.

I am pretty ignorant when it comes to configuring network setting especially on Linux systems, so if anyone responds to my request for help, please keep instructions in laymen’s terms. Also know that the answer to my question is probably rather simple, I just do not know the basics on how to setup the internet setting and network settings on SUSE or Linux.

So can you help me connect to the internet and connect to my home router using this Linux system? And if you are overly patient, would you also tell me how I will need to go about setting up the wireless connection for the future laptop that I will be up[censored] with Linux. The laptop is currently running Windows XP right now and it connects flawlessly to the network.

Useful router info:

Internet Connection Type: Automatic Configuration - DHCP

Rtr name: WRT54G

Local IP:192.168.1.1

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

MTU: Auto

DHCP Server: Enable

DDNS Service: Disable

MAC Address Clone: Disable

Security Mode: WPA Personal

WPA Algorithms: AES

Many folks miss setting up the internet connection during the installation of SuSE. At the main hardware window, during the installation of Suse, you could have set up the internet connection. usually it says "not configured" on the line relating to internet.

A good, short tutorial is located here.

Only follow the directions above

Quote:
Now, we just need to get the IP address from our ISP. This is quite painless. Open up a terminal window. As root, restart the network by typing '/etc/init.d/network restart'. This step is shown below

for a straight internet connection. Ignore the subject lines starting with this text, as this applies to setting the system as a router.

This assumes that you are connecting using a wired ethernet card connected to the router.

Is this the case with your system?