Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jdkoola

SUSE 10.0 and ALSA 1.0.11 release versions

I am running SUSE 10.0 on an old Dell Dimension 4100. I am having trouble with a new sound card I purchased (Creative SoundBlaster SE), which are documented on the hardware forum. Any way, according to ALSA's website, one possible issue maybe the supplied version of ALSA with SUSE 10.0 may not work with this sound card. The supplied version is 1.0.9 and I may need to upgrade to one of the development 1.0.11 versions.

I was wondering if someone could give me pointers on what I need to do? The ALSA website mentions something about recompiling the kernel, and compiling ALSA into the kernel or leaving it as a module. Which one should I do? When I use lsmod, there's not any line about alsa. The module soundcore does show up though. Is this the alsa module?

If I have to recompile the kernel, how do I integrate the new alsa source into the kernel source code from the SUSE 10.0 distribution CDs?

I appreciate any insight.

I assume that you read this page?

You either compile alsa to run at startup (when the system boots - into the kernel directly) or as a "module" not inserted into the kernel, but started the system boots up.

If you choose to compile into the kernel, then you would need to recpmpile the kernel.

However, the instructions say;

Quote:
Most modern distros come with soundcore compiled as a module. You can check this in numerous ways. The easiest way is to type.

modinfo soundcore

If this command returns that you have this module, then you don't need to recompile your kernel.

So, if soundcore is loaded on your system, you don't need to recompile the kernel. This is the basic sound hardware detection module, built into the kernel itself, in your case, as it shows up in lsmod.

Alsa is the package that contains the modules that gets sound working for you, not the module itself. It does contain the module for your sound card, any many others.

If you look at the result of lsmod, you would see snd-ca0106 as the module loaded (if it is, of course), not a line with alsa.

Quote:
If I have to recompile the kernel, how do I integrate the new alsa source into the kernel source code from the SUSE 10.0 distribution CDs?

You don't. The kernel is already on your system, if I understand your question correctly. I think you mean the kernel installed on your system currently from the CD?

You can either look to see if an updated alsa is available in Yast, if you have Yast set up to search the repositories on the internet for updates, or wait for the new version of SuSe to come out, I believe the release date is about March 15. This version will have the newer version of Alsa that should work correctly.

Hi, I have similar problem. I upgraded to Suse 10.1 with alsa 1.0.11 and so sound works, but SUSE 10.1 removed the madwifi drivers and have some other problems so I went back to Suse 10.0

Is there any way I can have alsa 1.0.11 under Suse 10.0 ?? Yast repositories only goes up to alsa 1.0.10 that does NOT solve the problem.

BTW, my motherboard is an ASUS, A8N-VM, NVidia chipset.

Thanks in advance,

Jorge.

Yea, it looks that way. I could not find the updated version for SuSE 10. You could compile from source, but that gets a bit complicated.

Why not keep 10.1 and install the Madwifi for 10.1, located here?