Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bloody

Searching for recovery software.

Whooo, boy, I've got myself into a real pickle this time, and so the search for a remedy begins.

I had needed to do a little partition editing, but something went wrong. Currently two of my partions are toast. The problem: 40k+ files...... gone. It was a little, okay, a lot more than I could practically back up even on DVD.. soooooo, yeah. I've not touched the partition with the data since. It was a Reiser partition..... the other has a backup of the Reiser and was an XFS partition with some other stuff on it as well.

Does anybody know any software that would by chance recover a reiser (or xfs for that matter) partition? I could really use it... for now I guess I play in Knoppix until I can get my data back...

Rememeber kids, QTParted is not a (fully functional) toy.

If you have Windows on this system, that is functioning, you could try a demo of this product and see if the demo works for you.

I have frequently warned folks about manipulating partitions with qtparted. It is a tool best used to initially set up partitions before installing your Linux flavors. But, it has problems with manipulating certain partitions after the fact.

It is heavily dependent on what filesystem packages are installed to support it, especially if you built it from source.

The other possibility is SystemRescue CD which may work. Read the manual page for details.

Yes, it does have qtparted, but that aside, see if you can pick up the apparently lost partition(s) with it's tools and backup, then restorte to a fresh partition.

I couldn't find anything on SystemRescue with regards to recovering a ?deleted? partition. As for the demo, I don't have a Windows install, but I could probably gain access to one... Just one thing. even if the demo worked, there's no way I would ever be able to afford the license fee.... $429 is a bit over the top.

Yes, I saw the cost, but if the demo works once without purchasing it...

Another possibility is TestDisk.

I found the link in a fairly technical article about the subject here.

I believe the specs on that one demo were that the detection would work, but if you wanted to recover you had to buy... that's what their site said anyway. I had tried TestDisk before, but didn't realize quite why it wasn't working for me at the time. Finally came to me late this morning, the part of the morning where massive amounts of sugar and caffeine are the only thing keeping me awake, to realize why it wasn't. Aparrantly it'll only scan the disk it's running from, which at the time was my dvd drive, rather than the hard drive. I'm surprised at how quickly and well it worked. I had everything back within a minute or two smile TestDisk seems like a great app to use.

Figures! I only ran it to a point and did not actually try to complete the process. I hoped that the demo would allow one recovery. No coffee or sugar at the time.

If you are daring and technically inclined, see this article.

Unfortunately, the gpart link seems dead.

I'll keep looking around.

I was also hoping that the partimage package in the SystemRescue CD might see the partitions and allow a recovery.

No need to keep looking for anything really, as TestDisk did do the job - scanned the disk and within a few clicks and a reboot I had everything back smile I'd have been toast if I didn't keep the data and OS on seperate partitions though.... woo, scary thoughts there.

Note: As per some nice notes on TestDisk, I think you need the OS running on the same disk that you want to probe, that or it just doesn't like being run from DVD (or perhaps Knoppix in particular, who knows), or perhaps the static build just doesn't like something rather - all this is specifically why I'm lucky I had the OS on a seperate partition... still had something pretty bootable, minus my home directory).

Note also: Please do remind me never to do a partition resize in QTParted ever again though, never again.

[Edited by bloody on 2006-03-06 12:25:48]